Stress and anxiety are something which is part of life. A man is the busiest creature on earth bounded by work pressure and day to day activities. Stress is something which is largely unavoidable and leaves a huge impact on our body. Stress has been directly linked to depression, anxiety, heart attacks, stroke, increase in blood pressure and immune system disturbances. Too much of stress can have direct effects on the skin causing skin rashes and scars.
It sometimes can affect our health badly leading to either death or,
- Enhance wear and tear on the heart and internal body organs
- Affects work
- Affects personal relationships and other normal functioning
- Wear down our immune system
- Affects our vital energies and causes worn out feeling
Role of stress in life
But one must not forget a little stress is really needed in life. Stress actually places a little pressure so that we perform at more peak level. Stress in life makes us more challenged and focus towards our aims and goals. A stress also causes a chemical response in body that makes skin sensitive and reactive. It sometimes makes skin problems hard to heal. We tend to break out more while in stress, this is because our body produces cortisol and some other hormones which make sebaceous glands to produce more oil. The situation can become more harmful if we start consuming alcohol, tobacco or drugs to relieve stress.
- Forty three percent of adults have to face adverse health problems due to stress
- Around 75-90% of doctor’s office visits are for stress related problems and conditions
- Stress contribute in several diseases like: headache, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, asthma, arthritis and skin conditions
Stress may worsen skin problems like psoriasis, rosacea and eczema. One should not feel stressed out because it clearly comes on to our face and causes hives and other types of skin rashes and may also trigger a flare up of fever blisters. It is quite natural we often ignore our skin care while stressed out. Sometimes people get so conscious for their skin that they keep it to themselves which adds to more stress and worsens problem. Signs and symptoms of stress may vary depending on individual’s condition.
Also Read: 8 Ways to Stay Fit
Some common symptoms of stress
- Trembling of lips and hands
- Frequent blushing and sweating
- Feeling cold or sweaty hands
- Having dry mouth
- Problems in swallowing
- Frustration and irritation
- Decline in sexual power
- Pain in neck, back or muscles
Stress causes some severe skin problems which require timely attention and care. Here in, we shall go through the stress related skin conditions and their treatment.
Stress induced skin problems
- Psoriasis- Stress and psoriasis are dependent on each other. Stress can cause psoriasis worse and psoriasis can make us stressed. The disease can be recognised by raised patches, silvery scaled bumps and redness of scalp. According to National Psoriasis Foundation, about 7.5 million Americans and 125 million people worldwide are affected by psoriasis which makes it the most prevalent autoimmune disease in world. Psoriasis affects the skin and usually goes beyond cosmetic problem. It may also appear on elbows, knees and fingernails and anxiety and stress is the root cause of the disease. The treatment may include some topical medications and creams to be applied on the skin and can be easily purchased from online pharmacy. This would help to maintain a beautiful natural glowing skin without any mark or spots.
- Dandruff- Dandruff are the flaky scalp conditions where metabolic changes and anxiety further enhance shedding of the scalp and cause itchy white flakes. Bacteria occur naturally on the scalp and cause no effect on the skin. Stress, hormonal changes and change in daily diet like excess sugar, salt or fat may modify the balance of bacteria which is main cause of skin shedding. There are various beauty and skin care products like moisturisers and creams available in market that may help to enhance flawless skin. Although there are shampoos and conditioners too which should be used on the scalp roots and help in preventing dandruff.
- Eczema- Eczema is a type of red, inflamed, itchy and scaly patches on the skin. The disease is inherited but sometimes is caused by stress and anxiety. Tight fitted clothes, hot bathes and harsh toiletries make skin irritated which causes eczema. One should drink plenty of water so that skin remains hydrated and does not get dry. Always consume foods for beautiful skin like almonds, blueberries, spinach and walnuts. These are some of the health tips and natural ways for flawless skin. There are also online tips for glowing skin which can be followed by any one like which moisturiser should be used? Which sunscreen to be purchased containing SPF 15?
- Acne- Acne is the most common skin problem which appears due to stress and tension. Stress is responsible for activating influx of androgens which are male hormones present in both sexes. Androgen leads to production of sebum which causes an increase in cell production of epidermis (outer layer of skin). The skin layer thickens up to ten times its normal size and cause blocked pores. Over the counter products or cures containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid are effective in controlling bacteria and pore clogging. Sometimes topical retinoids and antibiotics are also prescribed by dermatologist. Severe cases require the oral treatment antibiotics as well. In order to get glowing skin naturally, one should
- Use gentle cleansers
- Use lotion containing alpha hydroxyl acids
- Use sunscreen before going out
- Get antioxidants in your daily cream which may protect skin from sun damage and helps to refine skin tone
- Hives- Hives is another skin condition technically known as urticaria. These are red or white hard and raised wheals. They can be found on skin for few hours or up to six weeks but the bumps usually fades away after two-three days. Skin hives are itchy and also cause burning sensation. Causes of hive include: allergic reaction, pressure on to the skin, changes in temperature, food intolerance and emotional stress. Over the counter antihistamines are usually prescribed which can be successful in controlling mild cases of hives. Whereas severe cases may demand prescription steroid injections or oral steroids to clear them up. One can follow some health tips for glowing skin. According to British study, approx 72% of women avoid cleaning their brushes or sponges which can largely cause breakout. One should maintain proper hygiene. Even sanitizing smart phones is important these days because glass touch screens on phones are good in spreading viruses which is as bad as sneezing in someone’s face.Also Read: How To Prevent Eye Strain While Staring at Your Computer?
When stress comes on to our skin we start getting panic, and find several ways to get a clear and beautiful skin. So, it is highly recommended that one should not get stressed out and follows some healthy tips to get the most perfect and flawless skin ever. Some common and natural ways for glowing skin are as follows:
- Rely on nuts which may increase skin’s elasticity and decrease skin cancer. Nuts are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which lowers inflammation and prevents breakouts
- Cut dairy from the diet. Dairy products contain cow hormone which may stimulate oil glands and pores leading to acne. Even, salad dressing protein, bars and shakes too contain hidden dairy in them.
- Try to maintain regular routine and sleep early. It is important to get enough quality sleep for 8-9 hours to avoid dark circles and other skin problems.
Also read: Aloe Vera- Wand of the Heaven
Share your thoughts in the comments section below. Also, share this with your friends for their best health.
Get useful health tips and remedies regularly, on your Facebook feed.
Latest posts by Steve Marc (see all)
- Supplements for Instant Weight Loss - February 27, 2017
- Ultimate guide about Antibiotics for Common Infections - February 22, 2017
- New Year’s Resolutions for Men’s Health - February 15, 2017
- All You Need To Know About Type 2 Diabetes - February 1, 2017
- Exercises That Are Good For Your Joints - January 23, 2017