Puffy eyes is a condition that occurs when there is swelling in the tissues around the eyes. As the skin around our eyes is very soft, puffy eyes can be caused due to various reasons. It is a common problem. Some people spend hours in front of the mirror trying to figure out a way to get rid of those eye bags. Usually, this problem of puffy eyes resolves on its own in a few days. But sometimes it can be due to an eye ailment.
Here are the most common causes of puffy eyes:
• Excessive crying
• Reduced sleep
• Bad diet
• Hormonal changes
• Physical stress, etc.
Also Read: 5 Simple Eye Care Tips
Swelling or puffiness is accompanied by blurred vision, pain, itching and even eye discharge in more severe cases. Treatment for puffy eyes In cases where puffiness is not the result of some severe eye problem, swelling can be easily controlled by different means. Here are some remedies to reduce puffiness:
1. Drink lots of water: Water is truly a miraculous drink. It can soothe puffiness, also. Puffiness is sometimes caused due to water retention as a result of increased salt concentration around the eyes. To flush out the excess salt, you need to keep yourself hydrated. Avoid dehydrating agents like caffeine and alcohol also.
2. Soothe your eyes with cold compress: The perfect cure for eye bags is available in your freezer. All you need to do is pick up an ice pack or ice cubes and place them on the affected area. Slices of cucumber or a metal spoon refrigerated for about about 10 minutes can also act as a cold compress which can help reduce puffiness.
3. Get a good night’s sleep: People who are sleep deprived often develop undereye bags. According to experts, 7-8 hours sleep is best for the body. So get more sleep and wake up with beautiful eyes.
4. Elevate your head while sleeping: Research says that the way your head is resting while sleeping can also cause puffiness. When you lay down for long hours, your body fluids collect under your eyes, leaving bags when you stand up in the morning. To prevent this, sleep on your back with your head elevated using a pillow. In case you are a side sleeper, try switching sides while sleeping.
5. Stay away from allergens: Often allergies that are related to the eyes or skin may cause unwanted swelling. Be sure to stay away from allergens and also keep yourself clean. In case you have an underlying allergy, treat it with proper medication.
6. Put potatoes on those puffed eyes: Potatoes are great for puffy eyes. The starch content of potatoes has an anti-inflammatory effects. Apply potato juice to your eyelids, leave it for some time before washing it off with cold water. It is the best kitchen shelf remedy to get rid of puffy eyes.
7. Tea bags: These are great for eye problems like redness, inflammation, puffiness, etc. Used tea bags can be put to excellent use by washing them with water and placing them over each eye. The tea bags have anti-inflammatory properties that are needed to reduce irritation and swelling.
8. Use egg whites: The skin tightening properties of egg whites can help reduce wrinkles and also get rid of puffy eyes. Just whip the separated egg whites and use a soft brush or cloth to apply on the swollen area. Leave it untouched for 10-15 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water. Follow this regimen daily for a few days to control the puffiness.
9. Make healthy changes to your diet: Keep your salt intake and alcohol consumption under control. Both dehydrate the body, and that leads to water retention which, in turn, causes puffy eyes. Drink cranberry juice and cabbage juice as both are great diuretics, i.e., they flush out excess water from the body.
Also Read: How To Prevent Eye Strain While Staring at Your Computer?
Eyes are a vital organ and it is very important we take care of its health. While these tips may prove beneficial for eliminating puffiness, if you experience other eye problems, we suggest you consult your doctor.