A sharp prolonged pain in the eye is determined as a burning sensation in the eyes. Sometimes, eye-watering may also accompany to the burning sensation. The cause of eye burning sensation may be a symptom of a chronic eye condition. Burning eyes may have several possible causes, ranging from the simple to the complex one. The burning sensation may occur with or without other symptoms such as eye pain, itching, watery eyes or discharge from eyes.
In common, the burning eyes are caused majorly due to an environmental condition, such as high pollen counts or strong winds. Eye burning symptoms can be a more chronic eye problem that may require immediate medical attention. To select an appropriate medication, it’s important to first gauge the cause of your eye burning and then start using the eye care medicine suggested by your eye specialist.
Also Read: Vaginal Yeast Infections- Causes and Symptoms
Possible Conditions Leading to Eye burning sensation:
Sometimes it’s easy to determine what’s causing an eye to burn, as there could be several reasons behind that. For example, your eyes might burn if any chemical elements enter in your eyes, such as shampoo ingredients, chlorine from a swimming pool or sunscreen. Some other common irritants that can make your eyes burn include skin moisturizers, makeup, soap and cleaning products. In most of the cases, eye burning also happens due to unavoidable environmental influences, in such cases, the sufferer is advisable to change his /her sitting/standing area in order to see improvement. One can escape from major eye problems by timely stating an eye care treatment. Burning sensation in eyes depends on the cause and severity of the condition. Some of the possible conditions leading to eye burning are here below:
- Prolonged exposure to television, Smartphone or a computer screen
- Continuously reading for long periods
- Lack of sleep
- Excessive exposure to the sun
- Overuse of contact lenses
- Irritants such as dust, smoke, sweat, cosmetic products and chemicals that enter the eye
- Dry eyes due to the extreme temperature
- Eye tiredness
- Allergens such as dust and mold, pollen, pet dander, perfumes, incense, etc. that can irritate your eyes
- Allergic reactions to food can also irritate the eyes.
Some common symptoms of eye problem associated with Burning Eyes-
In most of the cases, once the irritant is taken out of the eyes, the burning sensation of eyes shows improvement and symptoms generally go away. Still, burning eyes are often accompanied by some other symptoms, such as:
- Watery Eyes
- Eye Pain
The problem of burning or itching eyes is also a symptom itself. Burning eyes are a symptom of many chronic eye conditions. These conditions include:
- Pink Eye
- Dry Eyes
What should you do to prevent your Eyes from Burning?
Here are several tips to get you relief from burning sensation in your eyes:
- Stay out of environment irritants known to cause burning eyes.
- Visit your eye specialist frequently to look for common eye conditions and disorders that can be leading to burning sensation.
- If you use the contact lenses, inform your eye doctor first about the symptoms you are experiencing.
- Consult your eye specialist before switching your eye medications, contact lens solutions etc. You should also consult him before starting or discontinuing the use of any eye product. Your eye doctor may prescribe you a different solution or medication which suits to your eye conditions in the best ways.
- Protect your eyes by wearing goggles, face masks, and other eyewear that help reduce light sensitivity and risk of any injury.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Read and learn the best practices to keep your eyes healthy.
- If you suffer from a condition that causes the burning sensation, you should wash your eyes with cold water for 1 to 2 times in every one hour and still if you don’t feel comfortable; it is advisable to see an eye doctor immediately.
- Never ignore new symptoms or changes occur in your eyes.
Also Read: Pink Ribbon: Understanding Breast Cancer.
Eyes are the precious gift for everyone in this world and taking care of them should be our foremost priority. One can take care of his /her eyes easily by following some simple eye care tips.