A cough is a normal defense mechanism of the body against the allergies. There are various coughing treatments and cough remedies are available which will provide constant relief.
Allergies are the reflex caused by the body when some unwanted thing enters our body. A cough is one of the reflex actions caused by the common allergies. It is caused by the stimulation of the lining of the nose, throat, voice box or lungs.
Also Read: To Lead a Smoke Free Life- Quit Smoking
Causes of the allergies
There are many allergies which can lead to a cough and the reason behind these allergies is our changing lifestyle and the kind of urbanized environment which is full of harmful pollutants and chemicals. We can get these allergies from multiple things that are present around us all the time such as:
- Dust mites in house
- Inhalants that we contact with at work
- The kind of unhealthy food we eat and the adulterations in present food items
The other reasons may be seasonal or year-round; all types of allergies can cause constant coughing.
There are various symptoms of the allergic reactions along with cough. The running nose, sneezing, watery, and itchy eyes are some of the common symptoms caused by the allergies. A cough caused by the allergies is disruptive and annoying. The reasons behind a cough due to allergies are postnasal drip when mucus from your nose runs down the back of the throat. A persistent cough is the symptom of allergic asthma. The symptoms of this type of asthma are triggered by exposure to allergens, such as pollen, dust mites, and mold spores. To treat a severe cough, it is very important to visit the doctor and identify the underlying cause of a cough. There are various homemade cough remedies, which will soothe the symptoms of a cough caused by the allergies.
There is a tendency to try home remedies for a cough, but you should please visit a doctor and determine the cause of a constant cough. You should take care of the symptoms, which include running nose, a wet cough, or a dry cough. Other cough treatment methods include anti-allergy treatments, which are recommended by the doctor. Doctors will give the best cough treatments.
Some of the common cough remedies are given in below:
- Honey- One of the best cough treatment option available in the home is honey. It gives instant relief from cough. You can create your home remedy by using honey with herbal tea or warm water and lemon. The lemon helps with congestion and honey does the soothing. You can simply eat the honey for instant relief.
- Probiotics- they are the friendly microorganisms which provide a host of health benefits. They don’t provide the relief from a cough directly; they do help in balancing your gastrointestinal bacteria that supports our body. This boosts our immune system and helps in preventing a cough.
- Peppermint- the healing properties of the peppermint are well known. The peppermint contains the menthol, which soothes the throat and acts as a decongestant, helping to break down mucus. The health benefits of the peppermint can reap with different methods such as drinking peppermint tea or inhaling peppermint vapors from a steam bath.
- Thyme- one of the best cough treatments available easily in our surroundings. Many studies have proved that the essence extracted from thyme leaves mixed with ivy can help relieve coughing as well as short-term bronchitis. The flavonoids present in the thyme help in relaxing the throat muscles involved in coughing and lessen inflammation.
- Gargling with salt and water- one of the most common and best cough treatment methods available in every home is water and salt. It may seem simple, but gargling with salt and water can help soothe a scratchy throat that causes you to cough. Take eight ounces of water and mix around ¼ or ½ teaspoon of salt and gargle in two or three times in a day. Children below the age of 6 should not be given this treatment as they are good with gargling.
- Basil leaves- drinking tea of basil leaves instantly provide relief from a constant cough and it is one of the best cough treatments.
Also Read: Aloe Vera- Wand of the Heaven
These cough treatments, discuss above will soothe your throat, but cough remedy is taking the proper precautions so that you don’t get affected by allergies and get a constant cough. Some of the prevention methods are as follows:-
- You should avoid the things which cause allergies and avoid coming in contact with a person who is sick.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and this is one of the best cough prevention methods.
- Cover your nose and mouth whenever you cough so that the other person may not get affected.
- Wash your hands after coughing and before eating or caring for the person who is sick.
- Keep your house clean and avoid the things which may cause allergies.
Follow healthy lifestyle which boosts your immunity and this will prevent you from affecting with allergies.