Obese people may adopt diet for weight loss to lose pounds in a natural way. One can also buy weight loss products online to get rid of weight related problems.
The prevalence of obesity is the highest as it has ever been. The increase in obesity increases in the number of weight loss surgery. But, here the question arises how safe the procedures are, and do their benefits outweigh the risk? There is definitely no doubt that obesity is a major cause of a number of life-threatening diseases such as cardiovascular disorders, type II diabetes, stroke, and even cancers.
In addition, the condition can severely damage an individual’s quality of life, leaving him/her with mental stress and depression. Based on these facts, it is clear why overweight people always keep an eye on various weight loss interventions to combat their problem of obesity.
Weight loss surgery now becomes one of the common interventions to which most obese person’s turn. The physician may perform weight loss surgery only if someone has tried reducing weight by sticking to a physician-approved diet and exercise plan but failed to lose weight as well as faced serious health issues. The surgery can help obese people lose weight but, note that it’s not a quick fix to their problem. If you are thinking of a weight loss surgery then you need to put a lot of efforts before and after the operation. This is the reason why experts do not perform surgery just to change the way someone looks. They only perform the operation when they ensure that the patient can work hard needed to stay stable on the track for the rest of their lives. It is also important for the patient to be healthy enough to get the operation done.
Risks and side effects of the surgery
Like any surgery, weight loss operation also has risk and side effects:
- People who have undergone surgery for weight loss may experience pain after eating. They might get diarrhea, or have a complaint of heartburn immediately after having breakfast, lunch, or dinner, especially if they eat too much or too fast.
- After the operation, people turn into a habit of eating very small amounts. Now they need to chew their food more than they used to and keep more gap between the meals during the day. If they don’t do so they might feel sick or may even start putting on weight.
- Once a person has a surgery, the food he/she eats will move too fast through the stomach and intestines. Experts call this dumping syndrome. This condition can result in weakness, sweating, diarrhea, nausea, and cramping. At the same time, patients need to take care of their eating plans as their bodies get used to a different way of digesting food.
- After the operation, patients do not get all the essential nutrients they require for the proper functioning of the body. One of the reason may be they are eating less. The other is when the food we eat does not travel through the entire digestive system, the body is not able to absorb essential minerals and vitamins from the food we eat. After the operation, a majority of people take vitamin and mineral supplements.
Some rare complications experience by people after weight loss surgery is stated below:
- Development of blood clots in the legs: this rare problem can affect 1 in 100 people
- Internal bleeding
- Infection near the cuts used for surgery- a common complication that affects 1 in 20 people.
- Blockage in the intestines
- A bad reaction anesthesia
- A leak stomach that causes infection of the area around the stomach and other organs.
People can also have psychological effects after the surgery:
- Patients with a background of emotional eating might find difficulty in figuring out ways to handle stress without eating too much.
- People might often have trouble shifting to their thinner bodies. High expectations and thinking may disappoint them. They think that operation will bring them popularity and solve all their problems and feel sad to find the same problems that they had before surgery even after they are a smaller size.
Note that surgical procedures for weight loss are no magic fix. They need a lot of hard work and self-discipline, which cannot be delivered by everybody. So, for people who can put efforts for weight loss surgery may choose other treatments such as weight loss supplements, weight loss pills, or may switch on to weight loss diet, a natural way to lose pounds.