You probably have heard of the benefits of exercising, but performing yoga is the most popular forms of exercising ever. It helps us become aware of the body postures, alignments and different patterns of movements.Also, the body gets more flexible, and the mind feels calm even under the most stressful conditions. The foremost reason you perform yoga, is to feel good, happy, lively, energetic and peaceful.
Yoga is a science that is being practiced in India for ages. The word Yoga derives from the Sanskrit word Yuj, meaning to yoke the spirit and physical body together. Nowadays it is a popular activity for athletes, children, and seniors. Yoga is a superb form of exercise that can be easily modified to suit every level of fitness. Yoga provides many benefits like it lowers the blood pressure, increase flexibility/strength, removing negative thoughts from the mind, enhancing self-awareness and personal power and reducing stress and tension from the physical body. Not just this, the biggest reason people do yoga is for weight loss. The best type of yoga offers weight loss and will ensure that you shed extra pounds and look fit. There are many yoga asanas that one can perform, but before that it is important to know what type of yoga is right for you.
How to choose the right yoga type?
Yoga is classified into many different types. It is crucial that one chooses a form that is appropriate to the individual’s fitness level, his goals and any medical condition if any. Few of the popular and widely available forms are given below:
Best types of yoga for flexibility
- Vinyasa yoga- Vinyasa yoga is a style that utilizes postures and breathing techniques. It is derived from Hatha yoga. The postures (asanas) in this form are linked together in the series of movements that are synchronized with the breath. More emphasis is placed on the breath and in the transition of in and out of the postures. Also, the continual movements from one pose to the other provides cardiovascular benefits that many traditional yoga forms do not offer.The daily practicing of the yoga asana tends to enhance muscle strength, endurance, flexibility, and ease of stress. The primary emphasis of Vinyasa yoga is on the sun salutation, having a series of 12 poses where movements have to match with the breath. It is suitable for beginners that are seeking to strengthen their bodies.
- Bikram yoga- Bikram yoga known by the name of hot yoga, is the best type of yoga for flexibility. Other than this, it includes all components of fitness like muscular strength, endurance, cardiovascular flexibility and weight loss. Bikram is easily practiced in a 95 to 100- degree room and involves a series of 26 poses that allows the loosening of tight muscles and sweating.
Also read: Health and Hygiene: Stinky Feet Be Gone!
Best types of yoga for weight loss
- Hatha yoga- Hatha is one of an easy to learn basic form of yoga that is becoming popular in the country of the United States. This style is the foundation of all yoga styles. It incorporates Asanas, Pranayamas, meditation and kundalini that can be efficiently used to achieve the enlightenment. For performing Hatha yoga, the best approach is to find a calm and meditative mood. Only sit peacefully in a quite place and then begin the series slowly and with utmost control and grace. Hatha yoga helps to relax the body and fights stress. Regularly doing Hatha yoga may help you burn 175 calories per hour1. Try not to overdo the asanas or compete with others. Keep it simple and enjoyable for you.
- Ashtanga yoga- This form of yoga is also called power yoga. It particularly focuses on powerful flowing movements like push-ups or lunges that tend to take strength and stamina. Ashtanga yoga is appropriate for those who have recovered from any back injury or are looking forward to strenuous practice. Even people who are athletes like runners and cyclists and who wish to add more flexibility, balance and concentration to their routines of exercise opt for Ashtanga yoga. Following this form of yoga can help you burn 300 calories per hour2.
Other types of yoga forms:
- Iyengar yoga- Iyengar yoga is another form that is popular in the United States. The main emphasis is on improving the stamina, concentration, body balance and is the best type of yoga forms of flexibility.
- Kripalu yoga- Kripalu yoga commonly called as yoga of consciousness. It involves the highest amount of inward focus if we compare with other widely known yoga types. It is gentle, and the most introspective practice that convinces practitioners hold the poses to explore and release any spiritual or emotional blockages.
- Jivamukti yoga- Jivamukti is a physical, spiritual and ethical practice that focuses on animal rights, Veganism, and environmentalism. The main five tenets to Jivamukti are Shastra, Bhakti, Ahimsa, Nada, and Dhyana. The session starts with the life lesson, chanting, and breath awareness. It is one of the well known andbest types of yoga for flexibility and to improve mobility in the joints and spine.
Yoga is the best form of exercise. It can be performed anywhere at your place and anytime that suits you. One just needs a calm and meditative place for yoga. Now you don’t have to rush outside to get slim, flexible and fit as the exercise begins at home only.