Are you suffering from constipation? Have you tried certain medications to treat it, but remain disappointed? Most of us suffer from irregular bowel movement (commonly known as constipation) and no one else but we ourselves are responsible for this condition because of the fast-paced lifestyle that most of us are following.
So, the question is can we really treat constipation effectively by being habitual of an unhealthy lifestyle? Well, actually we can! This post talks about some remedies that will keep constipation at bay, and they are super effective too!
Before we talk about which constipation remedies can help you to get rid of constipation or how to look for constipation cure, let’s understand that what constipation is all about and what causes it.
What is Constipation?
Constipation is a phenomenon when the bowel movements become irregular, causing discomforts like gas, cramping in the abdomen, bloating etc. It would be surprising to know that our dietary habits are one of the major causes of constipation. The food component that is responsible for causing the constipation is indigestible fiber. Excess fiber leads to a bowel obstruction while too little fiber also causes bowel dependence. Malabsorption disorders such as liver and gastroenteritis or pancreatic cancer also lead to constipation. Minimum 5 to 6 bowel movements in a week is considered chronic constipation if it lasts up to several months. Another instance of chronic constipation is having difficulty in passing stool or straining. Whatever the reasons are, making effective dietary changes can greatly help relieving from the irregular bowel movement. Constipation relief can be attained by making some simple changes in a lifestyle.
Remedies for Constipation:
- Sesame Seeds- The oily composition of sesame seeds works to moisturize the intestines in order to make elimination easier.
- Molasses- A dosage of one full tablespoon of blackstrap molasses before bed can help to ease your constipation by morning.
- Fiber- Fiber acts like a pipe cleaner. It helps to scrub food and waste particles from your digestive tract and soaks up extra water.
- Mint or Ginger Tea- Mint and ginger both are proven one of the best home remedies to help alleviate a slew of digestive problems.
- Healthy fats- Nuts, olive oil, and avocados all contain healthy fats, which helps to lubricate your intestines and ease constipation.
- Lemon Water– The citric acid in lemon juice acts as a stimulant to your digestive system and support in flushing toxins from your body.
- Coffee– It can stimulate your colon and speed up the trip to the bathroom. Other hot drinks also work well such as herbal tea or a cup of hot water with a little lemon juice or honey stimulates your colon as well.
- Raisins- Raisins are high in fiber. It also contains tartaric acid, which has a laxative effect.
- Exercise- Daily only 10-minutes walk after every meal can digest a food through your bowel more quickly.
Treatments for Constipation:
- According to healthcare professionals, in the majority of cases, constipation resolves itself without any treatment or risk to health. The natural treatment of constipation includes lifestyle changes such as doing more physical exercise, eating more fiber and drinking more water.
- Usually, laxatives successfully treat most cases of constipation but it should be used with care and only when necessary. In more difficult cases, the sufferer may need a prescription medication.
- It is very important to understand the cause of constipation first; as there could be any other underlying illness or condition too. Some people with constipation use to maintain a daily diary where they record their bowel movements, stool characteristics and other factors that can help both doctor and the patient to find in best possible treatment.
- Some gastroenterologists comment that there are some people who don’t allocate enough time for their defecation, and this is also one of the major reasons of facing constipation. It is highly recommended to set aside enough time to allow your toilet visit to be unstressed and uninterrupted. Also, don’t ignore the urge of bowel movement as and when you feel.
Following the right constipation treatment or remedies can ease you in passing the stool. Also, consult your physician if the condition is unchanged for a longer time.