It is not even the middle of the summer season yet, and the temperature is still soaring high. But this should not be an excuse to skip your regular physical activity. You can continue with your outdoor activities during hot weather by just following summer exercise tips. Listen to your body; if you feel something is wrong, immediately stop what you are doing, step in the shade or an air-conditioned environment, and when you feel better, go back, and try again.
As summer offers extra hours of daylight, it comes with the opportunity to spend even more time enjoying outdoor activities. You, too, maybe eager to go outside, taking advantage of local parks, walking paths, or pools. For many, the summer season means more time doing physical activities and playing sports. So, it is equally important to remember the potential dangers of these physical activities in hot conditions. If you are aware of the dos and don’ts of exercising in the heat, you may be able to take advantage of all the fun of summer. These summer fitness tips will help you work out smarter but not harder in the heat.
Here are a few summer health tips to help you maintain a healthy body without compromising health. So, without any further delay, let’s have a look at the summer tips to beat the heat:
- Drink plenty of water – When it comes to beating the heat, it is extremely important to stay hydrated. If you feel thirsty during the summer season, you are already dehydrated. Therefore, it is important to drink before you feel a need to. Be sure to drink water throughout the day. Stick to non-caffeinated beverages. Make sure you drink 15 to 20 minutes before beginning your workout and every 15 minutes throughout the exercise.
- Eat a balanced diet – The heat can decrease your appetite, but you must eat regularly and normally. Eat small meals 5 to 6 times per day. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Aside from being nutritious, fruits also help with hydration.
- Wear loses fitting clothes that can breathe. Choose cotton for summer. If your physical activity produces a lot of sweat, choose clothes specially designed to absorb the sweat.
- Be sure to wear sunscreen whenever you plan for outdoor activity. Even if you exercise early in the morning or late in the evening, if the sun can reach you, you can get burned in any of the cases. Sunburn is bad for your skin and affects your body’s ability to stay cool.
- Be smart and don’t attempt strenuous activities when the heat rises. Stick to exercises and sports that you are very familiar and comfortable with.
- Keep on checking the weather forecast. It is best not to practice exercises when the heat index registers in the dangerous zone.
- Do not attempt to diet by sweating. Excessive perspiration is not the key to achieving weight loss goals. Any reduction in the scale would simply result from water loss, not fat reduction.
- Do not follow the “no pain, no gain” policy. Sometimes, ignoring your body’s needs could be dangerous. Heat-related illnesses often come with a warning sign. You should learn how to recognize them and what actions to reverse the signs.
- Drink plenty of fluids when swimming. Don’t think if you are surrounded by water and well hydrated. As with land exercises, you need to fulfil the loss of fluids when in the pool regularly. Avoid outdoor activities during the hottest times of the day, usually between 10 am and 3 pm.
- If you wish to work out in very hot temperatures, begin with spending only a few minutes per day in the hot conditions for a couple of weeks and then gradually increase the time each day.
- Avoid temperature changes. Don’t hop from being very hot and sweating excessively right into an ice-cold environment. First, try to cool your body temperature slightly before exposing it to extreme temperature variation.
Whether you need to step out for a workout or do it for enjoyment, following the above tips will help you stay cool and safe during the summer.
Summer comes with the risk of dehydration due to the loss of essential minerals and salts while sweating, especially if you opt for an outdoor training session. Daily exercise is a must; it should be a part of people’s lifestyle. But physical activities during summer can be tough as the rise in heat affects a person’s metabolism and physiology. By following summer fitness tips, you can enjoy your summer workout regime as you do in winter. Stay hydrated and follow summer exercise tips effectively to achieve your goals.