Fungal infections are common, and they can be of animals and humans both. They can cause serious infections, in 2010 it was the 4th most common disease affecting 984 million people. An estimation of 1.6 million people dies each year of fungal infections. However, there are antifungal creams to treat infections caused by the fungus.
Types of Fungal Infections
A fungus causes fungal infections. Among numerous species of fungi, that can give rise to a disease or discomfort in people. Check out these common fungal infections:
There are various types of fungal infections, and they are as follows-
- Yeast Infection- the fungus Candida albicans is the reason behind of most vaginal yeast functions. Vagina naturally has yeast, including candida, and bacteria. Some bacteria prevent the overgrowth of yeast but sometimes this balance is disrupted, and the yeast overgrow. Yeast infection leads to discharge and burning sensation in the vagina. There are antifungal creams, ointments or suppositories which can easily cure fungal infections.
- Tinea Versicolor– the fungus Malassezia is a fungal found on the surface of the skin. They mostly protect us from infections and other pathogens that can cause harm or disease. But sometimes they grow out of control and cause infections on the skin. They change the colour of the skin. They develop patches of skin that are lighter or darker than the surrounding skin. They cause itchiness, dryness and scaly skin develops. OTC antifungal creams or shampoos can easily treat them. The OTC medications available in the market are; clotrimazole, miconazole, selenium sulfide and terbinafine.
- Onychomycosis- It the fungal infection of toenails. It is a serious disorder which left untreated may lead to spreading of infection and destruction of toenails. Getting rid of fungal infection can be difficult. The colour of the toenails changes and they become brittle, hard and they show cracks. Eliminating it depends on careful adherence to an antifungal treatment plan. In white superficial onychomycosis, small, white patches of form on the nails. There are medications which can easily treat this disease easily. Miconazole nitrate is used to treat this. If the infection is severe consult the podiatrist, who can devise a treatment plan. It is better to prevent the disease by occurring by simply maintaining hygiene regularly. Rinse your feet and dry them before putting on your shoes. Spray your shoes with an antifungal.
- Tinea Cruris- the other name of this disease is jock itch. It is a superficial fungal infection of the groin and adjacent skin. It is the second most common fungal infection. It causes itchiness, red rash which appears as patches with a scaly red border. There are various antifungal medications which can kill or prevent the growth of tinea cruris. Maintaining personal hygiene is important to prevent this infection. Consult the physicians if the infection is severe.
- Athlete’s foot- It is a fungal infection the feet. A person is suffering from an athlete’s foot experience redness, itching, and scaling in the feet. Several different fungi including Trichophyton, Epidermophyton, and Microsporum are responsible for causing athlete’s foot.
- Tinea Capitis- It is a ringworm infection that affects the scalp. The fungal infection is also called ringworm, but a worm does not cause it. It is most likely to affect school-age children and in rare cases affects adults. The disease spread easily, especially within families. The fungal infection is usually spread by coming in contact with infected combs, hats, brushes, pillow, and bedsheets. Tinea capitis can also spread through the air. It can affect parts of the scalp or the entire scalp. It appears as bald patches with black dots. The skin feels dry and scaly, and the affected area may be tender to touch.