We all have suffered from constipation at least once in our life time. It is a condition the frequency of the elimination of feces is reduced; it becomes less than thrice a week. During constipation, the feces are hard, difficult to eliminate and dark in color.
According to experts, an individual should have at least one or two bowel movements daily. He/she should spend time in the toilet to eliminate feces on a daily basis. Not eliminating regularly can lead to accumulation of toxins in the body. Accumulated toxins can have harmful effects on the whole body system. There are medications available for constipation relief, but still, a large number of people prefer to treat it using home remedies or herbal medications. One of the main reasons behind this is that long term usage of laxatives that are available for constipation treatment can cause make the person dependent on them. These over the counter medications tend to constipate even more. To avoid such situations, most people prefer constipation remedies such as olive oil to relieve constipation symptoms.
Also Read: 10 Best Ways to Avoid Constipation with Olive Oil
Olive oil for constipation cure
Many people have doubts about olive oil whether it helps with constipation or not. The answer is yes, olive oil is beneficial for constipation, however olive oil alone cannot relieve constipation symptoms. It has to be complemented with a lot of other ingredients, lifestyle changes such as regular exercising, intake of lots of fluids, and higher fiber diet. Here are some uses of this amazing oil for constipation treatment:
Softens the feces- People with constipation have hard feces and find difficulty in eliminating them. Regular use of olive oil moves relax muscles in the intestines as a result of that, it stimulates the bile flow and therefore softens the feces. Unlike hard feces, soft feces are easily eliminated and hence relieves constipation.
Decreases intestinal dilation- Olive oil is extremely effective for curing constipation in babies. It is often seen that babies are unable to eliminate feces easily that ultimately cause accumulation of waste in the intestines. Once this happened, the intestine of the baby dilate and cause pain in the stomach. To avoid pain, babies hold back feces, which is harmful to the whole body system. Regularly massaging olive oil on the stomach of the baby will help in eliminating the pain and allows the baby to remove stools.
Methods to use olive oil for constipation
- Olive oil- Consume 1 to 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil in the morning before breakfast. Avoid drinking water for one hour after consuming the olive oil. Follow this constipation remedy on a regular basis to cure constipation.
- Olive oil and lemon juice-lemon are acidic in nature, which is useful in stimulating the digestive system. Lemon juice is used to move the waste from the digestive tract smoothly. The combination of olive oil and lemon juice works well to get rid of constipation issue.
- Olive oil and yogurt- Add one spoon of olive in a cup of yogurt, mix it well and consume it. Have it thrice a day for best results.
- Olive oil and orange juice- Take a glass of orange juice and mix two spoons of olive oil, drink this liquid daily on an empty stomach to treat constipation.
- Olive oil and coffee- When you drink a cup of coffee, don’t forget to put few drops of olive oil in it if you have constipation. This remedy will lubricate your digestive tract and reduce the symptoms.
- Olive oil and warm milk- A glass of warm milk with olive oil works wonders for constipation issues.
- Olive oil and fruits- The combination is useful in improving bowel movement.
- Olive oil and vegetables-Vegetables likes snap peas, beans, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, and broccoli is a good source of fiber and magnesium. These green leafy vegetables help alleviate constipation.
- Olive oil with a banana- Cut banana into thin slices and sprinkle olive oil on it. The consumption of banana with olive oil helps the digestive system work smoothly.
- Olive oil and pineapple-Pineapple has enzymes that improve bowel movement and provide relief from constipation.
Also Read: Get Help for Constipation when you Need
Olive oil can cure mild to moderate constipation issues. Follow these remedies for constipation to get rid of hard feces.