Knee pain is the most common musculoskeletal complaint that brings people to their physicians. It can be experienced by older adults, young adults and children. Women are more vulnerable to knee pain than men. According to the age, there are different knee pain treatments.
Pain in the knee can be caused by weak bone structure and due to aging. Other common causes include fracture, meniscus injuries, ligament injuries, dislocation of the knee joint and stiffness in the joint due to arthritis, lupus and many other chronic ailments.
Don’t let knee pain sideline you from doing the things you enjoy. You can take care of your knee pain by different knee pain treatment and knee pain remedies.
Diagnosis in knee pain treatment:
Like MRIs, x-rays, and CT-scans, allows physician to look inside the knee for better knee pain treatment.
Arthroscopy uses a small tube with a tiny camera or arthroscopy, that’s inserted into the knee. The camera technique allows images from inside of the knee to be protected onto a screen, enabling doctors to perform a thorough evaluation of the joint.
Radionuclide bone scan—Involves injecting a small amount of radioactive material into the patient. This allows doctors to assess blood flow to the bone and other parts of the knee joints, as well as cellular activity in the knee joint area.
Knee pain remedies
Applying cold compresses to the painful knee is one of the best and easiest ways to reduce pain and swelling. It’s a very useful knee pain treatment
- Wrap a handful of ice cubes in a thin towel
- Apply the compress to the affected knee portion for ten to twenty minutes
- Do this three to four times daily until your pain is gone
Whether knee pain is due to arthritis, injury or muscle strain, ginger is widely used as knee pain relief. Its effectiveness comes from the presence of anti-inflammatory compounds in it. Ginger can reduce knee pain as well as swelling in knees.
Crush a small piece of fresh ginger root, add to one cup of water and boil it for 15 minutes, then strain and add a little honey and lemon juice. Drink two to three cups of this ginger tea daily until you see relief in your knee pain.
Turmeric is an effective knee pain remedy. Turmeric contains a chemical called curcumin that has antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help in the knee pain treatment.
- Add one-half teaspoon each of ground ginger and turmeric to a cup of water and boil it for 15 minutes. Strain, add honey to taste, and enjoy twice a day.
- Boil one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk. Sweeten with honey and drink it once daily. Follow this remedy daily until the pain is gone completely.
Lemon has also been found beneficial as a natural knee pain remedy caused by arthritis. The citric acid found in lemon works as a solvent for uric acid crystals, which is the cause of some type of arthritis.
- Cut one or two lemons into small pieces
- Tie the pieces in a cotton cloth and dip it in warm sesame oil
- Place the cloth on the affected knee for 15 minutes
Knee pain can be treated with effective home remedies. But in case the pain persists even after two to three weeks, then consult a doctor to know the cause and go for knee pain treatment.