The health benefits of water should be taken into consideration before any other health routine if you want to live a healthy life.
Water is the most valuable natural resource; it is essential for health and is one of the six basic nutrients. The health benefits of water are clearly shown when you consider that the human body is supposed to be about 60 to 65 % of water. The human body can last for weeks without food, but without water cannot live more than a few days. Water transports nutrients throughout the body through the blood and remove waste by carrying it away from the cells. Through sweat, water plays a vital role in maintaining the body temperature. Also, it lubricates the joints, and is important for proper organ functioning and digestion.
To maintain optimal health, it is important to consume around 8 glasses of water daily if you are female and 10 glasses if you are male. Thirst is the body’s natural way to call for water. This system is not correct, however, because exhausting exercise makes a difference in the body’s thirst mechanism. Drinking water at a regular intervals throughout the day is a very good idea to keep yourself hydrated. Proper hydration is a key to good health, make a habit of consuming water, even if you do not feel thirsty. Keep a look at your urine to monitor your hydration level, if it’s clear and smell free, you are in good shape. If it is dark with strong odor, you are probably dehydrated.
An adequate amount of water is especially needed for people who are physically active and may lose a significant amount of water through sweat. If you are exercising intensely for more than an hour, go for a sports drink that contains 6 to 8 % carbohydrate with some electrolytes like sodium and potassium.
Advantages of drinking water
Here are some health benefits of drinking water every day:
- Natural remedy for headaches: Don’t jump for the tablets straight away for a headache as it could be a sign of being dehydrated, so an adequate intake of water could make it go away. Although, there may be other reasons behind a headache, dehydration is the common one.
- Relieves fatigue: Fatigue can be eased by drinking water because fatigue is one of the first signs of dehydration. You often feel tired when there is less water in the body, which cause a drop of blood volume and make heart to work harder to pump oxygenated blood out in the blood stream and to other vital organs. Your organs will be exhausted and so will you. Thus, drink adequate water to help your body function better.
- Drink for weight management: Good news for those who are trying hard to lose a few kilos, water naturally reduces your appetite. Experts encourage drinking more water for weight control as drinking water makes you feel fuller, so you are less likely to eat when you are not hungry. It has been suggested that drinking eight-ounce of water before meals can help suppress appetite and support your weight loss efforts. Water increases the rate at which the body burns fat, and encourages breakdown and withdrawal of fat cells.
- Improves circulation in the body: The body’s circulatory system benefits greatly from water exercise due to the increased cardio activities. Consequently, the heart works more effectively.
- Helps in digestion and constipation: One more advantage of drinking water is that it improves the function of the gastrointestinal tract. Insufficient amount of water in the body often leads to constipation as the colon pulls water from the stools to maintain hydration, thereby making them harder and difficult to pass.
- Flushes out toxins: Water being an excellent detoxifier helps remove harmful substances out of the body and get rid of waste primarily through urine. It promotes kidney function and reduces the chances of occurring kidney stones by diluting the salts and minerals in urine that cause kidney stones.
- Look younger with healthier skin: You will automatically look younger and wrinkle free when you are properly hydrated. It revitalizes skin by replenishing skin tissues, moisturizes skin and increase skin elasticity.
Tips to help you drink more water
- Add beverages with every snack and meal
- Make a habit of drinking water early in the morning after brushing your teeth
- Try to consume a glass of water every other hour or sip per minute, depending on your capacity or busyness
- Add more fruits and vegetables in your diet plan. Their high water content will help you hydrated.
Water makes up about two-third of who you are, and influences almost all the processes of your body. It naturally suppresses the appetite and helps the body metabolize fat. The lack of water can affect your overall health and even your job. It is essential to drink adequate water to maintain a healthy body. There are numerous benefits of drinking water regulalry. One of the most common health benefits of water consumption is that it helps with weight loss.