Most people need some time to adjust with the fact they have one of the life-threatening disease cancer. It takes time for them to think about what is important for them to live and get support from their family and friends. For many, diagnosing from cancer is an emotionally hard time. During the time, the feeling of anger, disbelief, fear, and shock are normal. These feelings often make cancer patient’s mentally exhausted which can make the condition worse and even harder to understand all the medical instructions shared by the health care specialist. An individual who is recently got diagnosed with cancer needs some time to understand what the diagnosis and treatment options are mean for him /her. Many women with breast cancer or people with other cancers are embarrassed or afraid to admit that they are depressed. Depression can be caused by chemical changes that go along with cancer. The condition can be treated with medications and counseling.
Coping with Cancer Treatment
People with cancer need to cope with the condition just like they cope with many other problems in life. Each person has his/her own to deal with a situation. With time and practice, most cancer patients can find a way to go on with their work, school, hobbies, and personal relationship. Gradually, they find new or different ways to live their lives to fullest despite having cancer. If you are looking for approaches to coping with cancer treatment, you may want to try some of these ideas:
- Learn as much as possible- For many people, learning about their disease and its treatment helps to give them a sense of control what’s happening to them. One can speak to his/ her health care specialist and discuss what help you find the resources.
- Say what you think- Some people find that expressing feeling anger, fear, sadness, gives helps while others feel these are a sign of weakness. The fact is it is always difficult to express powerful emotions than to hide them. Sometimes hiding your feeling make it harder for you to find the right path to manage the condition. One can express his/her feeling in many ways, find the best way that fits you. You might try talking to your best friends or close relatives. Expressing feeling through music, painting, or drawing is another way for some people.
- Take good care of yourself- take some time for things you like to do the most or enjoy every day. Spend time your best buddy, cook your favourite dish, watch a movie, listen to your favourite beats, meditate, dance, or do things you enjoy.
- Workout- If your health care specialist agrees for it, start with a mild exercise program such as walking, stretching or swimming. Such mild physical activities will help you feel relax and calm.
- Communication is the key- getting strength during hard times may be tough for many people. It is difficult to carry the load of having cancer alone. Try to reach out to friends, family, or support organizations. These people can help eliminate the alone loneliness from your life and help you feel better and encouraged to live life happily. They will always be there for you to share your wide range of feelings including fear, anger, hopes, sadness at every step of the journey to an improved quality of life.
- Focus on what you control and ignore what you can’t- Being hopeful can enhance your way of living and how you see cancer diagnosis. This is natural and something you can’t change. Your thought won’t cause or cure cancer. When this happens, expressing those feeling can help you control over rather than hopeless by your emotions.
- Embrace the love- Lover is the most powerful medication. Having strong support during cancer diagnosis and treatment is a key to crossover the hard time.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle- Choosing a healthy diet that consist of a variety of healthy foods can help improve your energy levels. Also, get adequate rest to help manage stress and fatigue associated with cancer and chemotherapy treatment. Research studies suggest that people who maintain a healthy lifestyle during chemotherapy treatment may not only cope better but also may live longer.