If you have ever felt that you cannot take it anymore and that you are going to have a nervous breakdown,then you are not alone. Stress is a common factor today in the lives of millions of people.
Men experience and express stress differently than women. As per reports, men are feeling more stressed than ever, and not many are aware of how to reduce stress. Over time, the stress accumulates and begins to affect our physical and emotional health.
Consequences of Stress
The strain of everyday living has been linked to a host of ailments including high blood pressure, heart disease, headaches, back pain, cancer, diabetes, and a weak immune system. Men who suffer from stress also experience depression, insomnia, anxiety, and fatigue, and may turn to unhealthy habits such as overeating, smoking, drug abuse, or drinking to help deal with their stress.
Ways to Reduce Stress
Here are ten effective tips to reduce stress and its negative effects on the body.
1. A good diet- The food we eat every day plays a major role in maintaining our energy levels. Having low amounts of some minerals such as magnesium can make you feel tired. A well-balanced, nourishing diet can help maintain high energy levels. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol that contribute to the toxic effects of stress.
2. Sleep- Sleep is when your body recovers from the day’s stress and rejuvenates itself. Good sleep habits such as going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, no T.V just before sleeping can help improve the quality of your rest. Soaking your feet in warm water before bedtime can calm the mind and help sleep better.
3. Exercise- A daily regimen of exercise has been shown to work wonders in stress management. It is also excellent for overall health. You can break the pattern of anxiety ridden, worrisome thoughts through exercise. It also releases feel-good endorphins. For many people, just a walk or jog can help one feel very different. Studies have shown that physical activity can help improve mental health and enable one to cope with stress better. Also, people who exercise regularly are less likely to suffer from any anxiety disorders as per a research.
4. Meditation- Yoga, breathing techniques and meditation have proven health benefits and are excellent ways of reducing stress. They calm the nerves and mind and can significantly lower your stress levels. Focusing on your breathing and consciously taking slow, full breaths can help bring your system back in balance. Spend at least 20 minutes every day with yourself to see a profound change within a few days.
5. Remove the cause of stress- If you are just sitting around and doing nothing about your stress, it just builds up even more. Introspect and find out the reasons for your stress. List them down and write what you can do to improve the situation. Make an action plan and stick to it. Often we take on more than we can manage. We fail to say ‘no’, and this creates pressure. Ask for help if you think you have too much on you.
Also Read: Ways to Boost your Testosterone Levels
6. Stay away from stressful situations- Avoid triggers that you know can cause you to stress out. Traffic jams, packed shops, toxic people – avoid them as much as possible.
7. Accept what you cannot change- When you accept that certain things are beyond your control, you are better equipped to deal with them. For example, you cannot do anything about the bad weather. Instead, find out ways to enjoy even amidst the adverse situations.
8. Live in the NOW- Being in the present moment is a very powerful way to stay stress-free. Being 100% with whatever we are engaged in at the moment frees the mind of its past-future dance.
9. Optimism- Have a “glass half full” attitude towards life. Look to the sunny side of everything, it helps. A negative outlook can turn even a small issue into a big botheration. Positivity is a great stress management tool.
10. Socialise- Being with family and friends in a fun environment is a great stress buster. It also helps give perspective to what is really important in life.
Also Read: A Man’s Guide to Skin Care