Sensitive skin is not a disorder and it does not require any medical diagnosis, you can easily check your skin by yourself. If you have noticed the following signs then your skin is sensitive-
- Have you had more than 3 or more reactions to a skin care product like soaps, lotions, creams, shampoos, etc?
- Have you had any reactions to sunscreens?
- Do you develop itching with skin or hair care products?
- Are you sensitive to fragrances?
- Have you had reactions to prescription medications that are cream, lotions, gels etc.?
- Are you very careful when trying new products because you have had bad experiences in the past?
- Have you ever had allergies, asthma, eczema or hay fever? If yes, this alone does not qualify you, but, statistically, you do have a higher chance of skin allergies or irritation.
These symptoms classify your skin as sensitive skin, but a sensitive skin is different and allergic skin is different. An allergic reaction occurs when your immune system gets activated against any unwanted substance in the products you are using and lead to redness, bumps, itching burning and even hives.
These are various steps you should take if you have sensitive skin:
- Choose, the products which show that they are for sensitive skin.
- Remember that short ingredient lists are good- the more chemicals, the higher the chance you may get your skin damaged.
- Use organic skin care products as generally they have fewer chemicals. Though plant extracts used in the product may still cause skin allergies.
- If any products make your skin burn or itch or seems to make your skin worse, stop using and consult your physicians for proper guidance.
- If you have a rash, keep the affected area covered and out of the sun. If the reaction is on your face, then wear a hat and consult your doctor.
- If you have sensitive skin its best to consult your doctor for the products and use the products according to your skin type.
Causes of sensitive skin
- Dry skin- skin becomes dry when there is a loss of too much water.
- Various skin disorders which can lead to skin sensitiveness.
- Staying too much in the sun.
- Unhealthy lifestyle.
General tips for taking care sensitive skin
- Take a short 5-10 minute of showers with warm not hot water.
- Avoid harsh exfoliants
- Use a gentle, fragrance-free soap
- Use essential oils instead of perfumes
- Use a gentle, fragrance-free laundry detergent
- Try using organic skin care products
- Gently pat yourself dry after a shower instead of rubbing it and apply moisturized right away
- Test new products in a discreet area of skin at least one day before trying a full application
- Eat lots of fruits and do exercise regularly
Sensitive skins is not a disorder, but if any symptom given below appears, consult your doctor as they may appear due to allergic reactions. The symptoms are as follows-
- Difficulty breathing
- Trouble swallowing
- Swelling in the mouth, throat or face
The problems of sensitive skin are generally solved in the home if the condition is not severe.