Dry mouth is one of the most commonly bad breath causes. It occurs when the flow of saliva decreases. The problem can also be caused by various medications or salivary gland issues.
Bad breath is a common problem nowadays suffered by most of the people. It is an embarrassing health condition that affects approximately 30% of people around the world. Bad breath means the presence of a foul smelling odor that seems to come from the mouth cavity. According to the doctors, the bad breath arises from the mouth, throat, and tonsils. Sometimes the bad breath may be the symptom of any chronic illness.
The reason behind bad breath is a group of anaerobic, sulfur-producing bacteria that beneath the surface of the tongue and often in the throat and tonsil area. Sometimes the bad breath can lead to embarrassment in the public and also hamper your success in your work profile.
Causes of bad breath
The anaerobic bacteria beneath the tongue and tonsil feast on proteins in your mouth, sulfur compounds are released from the back of your tongue and throat and this lead to bad breath. Some common bad breath causes are as follows-
- Dry mouth- the anaerobic bacterias don’t need oxygen to grow, so the dry mouth provides a perfect environment for the reproduction of these bacteria. Smoking, drinking alcohol, snoring and a long period of speaking lead to dryness of mouth and many people experience foul breath in the morning due to lack of saliva production during the sleep. For healthy people this bad breath is temporary and normal salivary flow eliminates within several minutes. If you are suffering from any chronic illness, bad breath may continue for longer periods.
- Food- bad breath can be exaggerated by certain foods such as onions and garlic as these things contain smelly sulfur compounds. There are dairy products, meat, and fish which are a good source of proteins so when you consume these items there are heightened case that you are going to experience bad breath.
- Poor dental hygiene- the main reason behind the bad breath is poor dental hygiene. Inadequate oral care causes bacteria to reproduce in large numbers and they build up on the teeth and gums leading to bad breath for longer periods. This will lead to other dental problems such as dental plaque, gingivitis, bleeding gums, loose tooth, dirty dentures and loss of the tooth.
- Illness and disease- according to the doctor’s bad breath may be the symptom of any chronic illness and the person with bad breath may be suffering from diseases like diabetes, lung disease, kidney disease, cancer, liver disease, respiratory tract infections or metabolic disorders. So if you are suffering from bad breath for a longer period of time, go and consult your doctor and get examined by the doctor for any underlying medical conditions.
Bad breath is not associated with life-threatening diseases, but it is important to get checked up if this thing persists for a longer period of time.
Bad breath treatment
Many pharmaceutical companies manufacture liquid mouthwash which eliminates your bad breath. There are some drugs which will help you produce enough saliva if you are suffering from dry mouth problems. Consult your doctor about these medicines.
Also, here are some bad breath remedies and preventions for curing bad breath :-
- Advance oral care products- use best oral care products such as mouthwash and toothpaste that have been shown to be effective in fighting bad breath.
- Eat fibrous fruits and vegetables- one of the best ways to remove bacteria is to eat an apple a day. It not only help remove the bacteria, but also moisten your mouth.
- Take a dietary supplement- take vitamins, which are helpful in eliminating the excess mucus and toxins which cause bad breath naturally.
- Brush your teeth with baking soda occasionally- the bacteria that cause bad breath live in acidic medium, so brushing your teeth with baking soda neutralizes the environment and this lead to the removal of bacteria and causes the elimination of bad breath. Daily brushing is the best bad breath cure.
The best way to prevent any disease or any unhealthy conditions is following a healthy lifestyle. Some of the preventive measures for bad breath are as follows-
- Eat fibrous vegetables and fruits regularly- eat fibrous fruits and vegetables as it helps with bad breath producing bacteria.
- Clean your teeth- cleaning your teeth twice regularly stops the growth of bacteria and don’t let plaque get collected on your teeth. Daily cleaning of teeth prevents us from other dental problems too.
- Use mouthwash- it is recommended to use mouthwash
- Stop smoking- there are many studies which show that heavy smokers are at higher risk of developing bad breath and other dental problems.
- Stop drinking- the bacteria behind the bad breath thrive in alcohols so stop drinking.
- Breath through your nose- doesn’t snore and when you breathe with your nose your mouth produces enough saliva to eliminate bad breath producing things.
- Clean your mouth properly after eating or drinking.