According to the World Health Organization (WHO), an estimated 235 million people are affected by asthma worldwide. This blog will help you to know how to get rid of asthma?
Asthma is a chronic disease of the lungs, mainly caused by inflammation of the airways and is characterized by recurrent attacks of breathlessness and wheezing. This condition develops when inflammation causes the airways to be swollen and sensitive leading them to react to certain inhaled substances. Breathing difficulty, coughing, wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath are some of the symptoms of asthma which can sometimes lead to life-threatening asthma attacks.
Asthma can’t be cured, but you can control it by properly managing its triggering factors. Genetic factor, obesity, chest infections, allergens, certain medications, food allergies, and emotional factors are some of the triggering factors that cause asthma and may lead to serious problems. So, the question is how to get rid of asthma? Given below are various treatments and home remedies for asthma.
How to treat asthma?
Precautions, in terms of avoiding triggering factors, are necessary for asthmatic patients.. It is said that with proper asthma treatment, you can live years, but inadequate treatment limits the ability to exercise and be active. In order to lead an ordinary life with asthma, follow these tips:
Doctors prescribe preventive and long-term control medications to reduce inflammation in the airways. Anti-inflammatory drugs like inhaled steroids are widely recommended for people suffering from asthma. These drugs act as lifesaving medications to prevent asthma attacks by reducing swelling and mucus production in the airways.
Drug usage varies from person to person whether he/she wants quick relief or long-term assistance.
• Quick-relief medications- These drugs, also known as rescue drugs, consist of short-acting beta-agonists (SABA). Ipratropium is a medication that acts immediately by relaxing the airways, making it easier to breathe.
• Leukotriene modifiers- These are oral medications include Montelukast, Zafirlukast, and Zileuton. Leukotriene modifiers help asthma patients from symptoms for up to 24 hours. Aggression, depression, hallucinations, and suicidal thinking are some of the side-effects of these medications. However, if you ever experience any of these symptoms, immediately seek your doctor’s attention.
Must Read: How Safe Are Asthma Drugs?
Asthma inhalers and nebulizers:
Asthma inhalers, also known as asthma pumps, are portable devices that administer medication to the lungs. On the other hand, asthma nebulizers are typically preferred for infants, small children, and the elderly.
Home remedies for asthma:
Most people with asthma rely on medications to prevent and relieve symptoms. But, home remedies are also effective in lessening the possibility of asthma attacks. Some of the best home remedies for treating asthma are as follows:
Avoid triggering factors:
By reducing your exposure to asthma triggers, you can control the condition. Follow the below-mentioned tips:
• Use air conditioner- Air conditioning reduces the amount of airborne pollen that finds its way indoors. Use of air conditioning also lowers indoor humidity and can lessen the exposure to dust mites. If you don’t have air conditioning, keep your windows closed during pollen season.
• Reduce pet dander- People who are allergic to dander, avoid pets with fur or feathers.
• Clean regularly- Regular cleaning your home may help you avoid asthma triggers. If you’re likely to stir up dust, wear a mask.
• Cover your nose and mouth- Cold weather can worsen the situation for asthmatics. So, in cold or dry weather, remember to wear a face mask.
A healthy lifestyle can keep the symptoms of asthma under control. By following the below-mentioned tips, you can manage the condition:
• Regular exercise- Regular exercise can strengthen your heart and lungs, which helps relieve asthma symptoms.
• Maintain a healthy weight- Obesity is the mother of all health issues and in asthma cases, it can worsen the symptoms. So, try to maintain a healthy weight by indulging yourself in some physical activity and also by eating lots of fruits and vegetables.
Manage asthma by fighting inflammation:
• One of the best anti-inflammatory products is turmeric. This yellow cooking spice is widely used to flavour Indian curry dishes. Turmeric contains COX-2 prostaglandins, hormone-like substances involved in inflammation. It helps you in getting rid of asthma.
• Try to eat foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as tuna, salmon, and mackerel. These foods work much like a class of asthma drugs called Leukotriene inhibitors.
• Take 500 milligrams bioflavonoid three times a day, 20 minutes before meals. Bioflavonoid is the compounds that give fruits and vegetables their technicolor hues and have potent anti-inflammatory and anti-allergenic properties.
Although asthma is a lifelong condition it can be easily be controlled by managing its symptoms, proper medications and home remedies. Follow your doctor’s advice in getting rid of asthma.