Nausea is feeling of uneasiness in the stomach followed by the urge to vomit. Nausea and vomiting they are not diseases but are symptoms of several other medical conditions. Some of it include morning sickness during pregnancy, migraine, motion sickness and cancer chemotherapy.
One should immediately seek medical attention and look for a doctor if the vomiting occurs longer than 24 hours or if one suspects blood in the vomit, severe abdominal pain and headache. In order to treat nausea, the doctor will prescribe nausea medications. Antiemetics are the drugs that are given to prevent and control severe nausea and vomiting.
Nausea medication are prescribed when doctor fully understands the cause behind it and for its treatment, medicines are needed only for few days. These drugs used for controlling nausea are called antiemetics. Given below are the medications for nausea:
- Cinnarizine, cyclizine, promethazine – These drugs belong to antihistamines class of medications. Antihistamines tend to block histamine 1 (H1) receptors in the area of the brain that creates nausea in response to the chemicals in the body. These are useful for nausea as caused due to ear problems and motion sickness.
- Hyoscine – It is a great medicine that treats nausea caused due to ear problem and motion sickness.
- Chlorpromazine, droperidol, perphenazine, prochlorperazine, trifluoperazine- The drugs are effective and work by blocking a chemical in the brain called dopamine. They treat nausea caused by the problem of cancers and radiation.
- Nabilone – This medicine is prescribed for those patients who are on chemotherapy.
- Metoclopramide and domperidone – These drugs bring relief to the feeling of sickness and speeds up how quick food moves through the gut. Also, it works great for people with gastroenteritis.
Home remedies to control nausea
Besides taking nausea medication, one can try and follow some home remedies too. These home remedies, as given below, will help to control nausea and bring relief to the discomfort caused.
- Rice water- Rice water is an effective home remedy that alleviates vomiting. For preparing it, boil one cup of white rice to one and a half glass of water. Strain the solution and drink the rice water.
- Cinnamon- For nausea treatment, take a cup of boiling water and add one tablespoon of cinnamon powder. Now steep for few minutes and add one teaspoon of honey in it. Sip it and repeat the procedure at least three times a day for better results.
- Vinegar- Often when we smell the vomit or see it in front of us, we feel like more to vomit. So to prevent furthermore vomiting, you can rinse your mouth with the combination of one tablespoon of vinegar as diluted in a half cup of water. This solution will freshen the breath and provide much relief.
- Clove- Cloves are known to have antiseptic and anesthetic properties that can cure vomiting. You can simply chew raw clove or use in a cup of tea for treating vomiting.
Other tips to cure nausea:
Apart from home remedies, there are several other simple tips that may provide significant help in easing of nausea.
- Give what body demands- Feeling dizzy is often a part of nausea. So what’s best, in this case, is one must prevent moving around too much. Try to keep the head still or lay with the knees bent as this will relieve pain.
- Go out in fresh air- Getting out in fresh air always feel good but during uneasy situation it becomes all the most important that you make your body relax with time.
- Have regular meals- Feeling hungry or skipping your meal can easily make you sick. It is important that you consume small meals throughout the day or munch on healthy snacks so that stomach does not get upset. Also, avoid overeating and consume less spicy food as it may enhance nausea.
Nausea is worst where the things seem upside down and nothing feels right. Also it is a very common problem so, in this case, one should follow home remedies or nausea medication are also there that can be taken after doctor’s recommendation.