An introduction to the Marijuana
Marijuana is also known by the name of cannabis. It’s a psychoactive drug from the cannabis plant intended for medical or recreational use. It is one of the most abused plants. The main part of the marijuana or cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
There are many uses of marijuana, such as smoking, vaporizing; within the food, or as an extract. There are many medicinal uses of marijuana and many countries are passing laws for the use of marijuana as medicine. There are at least two chemicals in the marijuana which have medicinal application and they are cannabidiol and tetrahydrocannabinol. There are various researches which have shown the effectiveness of marijuana in diabetes.
Also Read: Best Alternative Medicine for Diabetes
Diabetes or diabetes mellitus describes the metabolic disease in which person has high blood sugar, either because insulin production is inadequate, or because the body’s cells do not respond properly to insulin or both.
- Increased urination
- Slow healing of cuts
- Increased thirst
Treatment of Diabetes via Marijuana
There are various uses of marijuana in the treatment of diabetes and some of the uses of marijuana are given below-
- Stabilizing blood sugars
- Anti-inflammatory that may have helped soothe some arterial inflammation common in diabetes
- ‘’Neuroprotective’’ effects that help reduce the inflammation of nerves and help in the reduction of neuropathy pain by activating the receptors in the body and the brain.
- It helps with the relieving the pain of muscle during muscle cramps and the pain of gastrointestinal disorders.
- It acts as a vasodilator to help keep blood vessels open and improve circulation.
- Contributes in the lowering of blood pressure over time, which is vital for diabetes.
- It is also used to make topical creams to relieve neuropathic pain and tingling in hands and feet.
- It helps in reducing the symptoms of diabetes, such as ‘restless leg syndrome’, so the patient can sleep better and it is advised to use a vaporizer or smoke cannabis.
Marijuana and Diabetes
There are various researches which prove the worth of marijuana in diabetes treatment. It is beneficial for the treatment of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Cannabis compounds help control blood sugar. It helps in weight control and pot smokers had a high level of good cholesterol and smaller waistlines which is very good for the people who are suffering from diabetes. The current research has shown that people who use marijuana have a better carbohydrate metabolism than non-users. The marijuana users are less resistant to the insulin produced by the body to maintain optimal blood sugar level. There are various other disorders whose symptoms can be reduced by the marijuana users and these disorders include eye disorders, chronic pain, and a number of other ailments which arise due to diabetes. The use marijuana can help in the treatment of pain or slow the progression of diabetes you are living with.
Risk of taking Marijuana
The biggest risk of marijuana use with diabetes is hypoglycemia, as the glucose level will drop with the use of marijuana and it will go unnoticed until the time it reaches to dangerous territory. So be careful while using the marijuana. It helps you feel better, more relaxed and pain-free and reduces blood glucose level. With constant use of marijuana, you can get addicted to it also so listen to your doctor carefully and follow his instructions.
Also Read: All You Need To Know About Type 2 Diabetes
There are many places where the use of marijuana is prohibited, so before using the marijuana, check with the local doctor if it is legal in your city/state. There are rules and laws which allow the patient to use marijuana, so check the laws and use marijuana according to those laws if you do not want any legal trouble. So get the prescription from the doctor and follow the rules of that place for using marijuana.