A man is said to be impotent when he is not able to achieve or maintain enough erection to complete the sexual intercourse. Impotence can also be defined as the inability to achieve ejaculation. The condition can also be called as erectile dysfunction.
The complex process of male sexual arousal not only involves too much activity in the hormones, brain, muscles, nerves, or blood vessels but also involves emotions. Sometimes stress, depression, and mental health disorders can worsen the condition. Impotence can occur from a problem with any of these physical, emotional, psychological factors. These factors not only responsible for causing erectile dysfunction but can also put a strain on your relationships with your partner. In some cases, a combination of physical, emotional, and psychological issues causes impotence. Even a minor health problem that affects your sexual response can be the reason behind anxiety about keeping an erection firm enough to satisfy your partner. The resulting anxiety can cause worsening of your erectile problem.
According to research, it has been identified that man with a good educational background are less likely to develop erectile problems because of the fact that they are living a healthy lifestyle. Impotence not only affects a man’s health but also has a negative effect on his sex life by causing addition depression, stress, and low self-esteem. To get to know about the most common causes of impotence and help him why he is experiencing the condition.
Factors that contribute to impotence
Many factors contribute to impotence:
- Lifestyle factors and emotional factors-Alcoholism can affect the man’s ability to achieve a penile erection. Abuse of drugs like amphetamines and cocaine can also increase the risk of impotence.
A person should be in an exciting phase to get a hard erection. If he has any emotional disorder, then he will not be able to become sexually excited.
Anxiety and depression are the two common factors that are responsible for causing erectile problems in men. If there is a feeling of sadness or hopelessness, then you won’t be able to respond sexually. Fatigue associated with depression can also be the reason behind impotence.
- Neurological and nerve diseases-Many neurological issues that can give rise to impotence symptoms. A problem with nerves has the direct negative impact on the ability of the brain to communicate with the reproductive system m in males. In such cases, nerves are unable to send signals to the brain, which can prevent a man from achieving and maintaining a penile erection.
Some of the neurological disorders that are associated with impotence are:
- Brain or spinal tumors
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Temporal lobe epilepsy
- Parkinson’s disease
Moreover, an individual who had undergone a prostate gland surgery may also develop nerve damage that contributed to impotence. Males who rides a bicycle and travels a long distance may also develop impotence, but that can be a temporary condition which disappears after some time. This might be caused because of the repeated pressure on the buttocks and genital parts that can affect the way nerves function.
- The endocrine disorders-The endocrine system of our body secretes hormones that help in regulation of metabolism. It also helps in sexual function, reproduction, and much more. Diabetes is the most common endocrine disorders that can give rise to impotence. A person with chronic diabetes may experience nerve damage which directly affects penis sensations. The endocrine disease has a direct impact on hormone levels and the flow of blood.
- Cardiovascular-related problems- Heart-related problems can cause a man to experience impotence. Any problem in heart restricts the blood flow of blood in the body, including the penis, which makes a person unable to achieve an erection.
- Taking medications-Certain medications are also responsible for affecting the blood flow in the penis, which can lead to an erectile problem. Some of these are Tamsulosin, Metoprolol, Codeine, Furosemide, Leuprolide, Spironolactone, etc.
There is a variety of impotence treatment that includes prescription impotence tablets, natural remedies, and lifestyle changes. Sildenafil, tadalafil, and vardenafil are the common medications that are used for impotence cure.