A smile is something which is so empowering that it has the power to provide confidence and bring happiness to another person’s life. Teeth are the reasons behind every million dollar smile. However, bad teeth can be instant turnover. An estimated 2.43 billion people (36% of the population) are suffering from dental problems and more than 620 million babies are also affected by this problem. It has been stated in a study in the United States that dental problems are the most common chronic childhood diseases.
Teeth play an important role in every human being’s life as it helps in chewing food and speech. We are so busy in our life that we ignore this important part of our body. It is necessary to keep a check on every body part but we ignore it. It takes only 2 minutes in the morning and 2 minutes in the night to brush our teeth. Generally, people think that a single brush is enough to keep their teeth up clean. If you do not care for you precious teeth, then cavities and unhealthy gums will make your mouth very sore and you won’t feel like smiling anymore.
Detailing tooth problems:
Tooth diseases lead to tooth abnormalities. These are the most common diseases in humans. Our mouth is full of bacteria and along with mucus, acid and saliva constantly forms a sticky, colourless “plaque” on teeth. Plaque converts all foods, especially sugar and starch, into acids, then acids to plaque, which dissolves the enamel of the tooth and lead to various gum diseases, toothaches, tooth decay or cavities.
- Gum disease- Bad habits such as smoking, poor oral hygiene and various types of medications are the main causes of gum disease. Symptoms of gum diseases are often subtle and the condition is not entirely without warning signs. Some of the symptoms of gum disease include red, swollen, or tender gums, loose or shifting teeth or persistent bad breath.
- Toothache- As the name suggests, toothache is pain of the tooth caused by dental diseases. Sharp or constant tooth pain and swelling around the tooth along with fever or headache are some of the symptoms of toothaches. Tooth decay is a leading dental problem and following good oral hygiene practices can prevent toothaches. Good oral hygiene practices include brushing regularly with fluoride-containing toothpaste and seeing your dentist twice a year for professional cleaning.
- Dental caries– Dental carries is known as tooth decay or cavities, which is a cause of bacterial infection. Cavities and tooth decay are among the world’s most common health problems and are common among children, teenagers and older adults. It has been proved in an American research that anyone who has teeth can get cavities, including infants. An estimated 29% to 59% of adults over the age of fifty experience dental caries.
There are various causes which lead to dental caries such as frequent snacking, consuming excessive sugar-rich drinks, and limited teeth flossing techniques. It is a fact that the early onset of a cavity does not show any sort of symptoms at all. As the decay gets larger or bigger, it may produce symptoms such as toothaches, tooth sensitivity, pain while eating or drinking something sweet, hot or cold, brown, black or white staining on any surface of a tooth or pain when biting or chewing.
Prevention of tooth problems:
If tooth problems aren’t treated, they affect deeper layers of teeth that may lead to severe toothaches, infection and even tooth loss too. So, regular visits to dermatologist and good brushing habits are the best protection against gum diseases and tooth decay. Some of the preventive measures of tooth problems are as mentioned below:
- Home remedies for gum diseases include consumption of green tea, which is rich source of antioxidants and helps in reducing inflammation in the body.
- Use of hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash or as a gel in a custom fitted tray, it helps in killing the bacteria.
- Usage of sesame oil can help in reducing bacteria that cause gum disease and is a very popular practice since the ancient days.
- Usage of tobacco puts you at the risk of development of periodontitis. However, smokers are more likely to get gum diseases than non-smokers. So, try to quit smoking if you want effective treatment.
Cavities or tooth decay:
Good oral and dental hygiene helps in avoiding cavities and tooth decay. There are preventive measures that help against cavities are:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Always try to brush your teeth after each meal and especially before going to bed. If you can’t brush your teeth right after eating, at least try to rinse your mouth with water.
- Clean your teeth on a daily basis with dental floss
- Try to eat nutritious and balanced meals as much as possible and limit your snacks intake. You can also avoid carbohydrates like candy, sweets and chips, which remain on the tooth surface. If you had these, then brush your teeth soon afterwards.
- You can drink fluoridated water each day as it may protect your children from tooth decay.
- Moreover, visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exam.
Treatment of various tooth related problems:
The sooner you seek care, the better are your chances of beating the problems related to tooth decay and its progression. The best way to avoid dental problems is visiting the dentist regularly for checkups to identify cavities before they cause troubling symptoms and lead to more-serious problems. If you visit your dentist at a later stage, then below mentioned options are left with you:
- Fluoride treatment- This treatment is the initial procedure that may help in restoring the tooth’s enamel. Professional fluoride treatments have more fluoride content than the amount found in tap water, toothpaste and mouth rinses. Fluoride treatment procedures only take a few minutes and includes liquid, gel, foam or varnish that is brushed onto the teeth or placed in a small tray that fits over the teeth.
- Filling- Filling is also known as restorations and is the foremost treatment option when tooth decay has progressed. Filling can be done using various materials such as tooth-coloured composite resins, porcelain or combinations of several materials.
- Root canals- This treatment procedure is effective, when decay reaches the inner material of the tooth. Root canal treatment procedures save a badly damaged or infected tooth instead of removing it.
- Tooth extractions- Sometimes, teeth becomes severely decayed that they can’t be repaired and must be removed. This treatment involves the removal of teeth and getting a bridge or a dental implant to replace the missing tooth.
So, the time has come to keep an eagle eye on yours and on your child’s dental hygiene levels. If possible, then try to visit your dentist once in six months, so that he/she may advice you properly.
Now that you how important it is to brush and floss your teeth on a regular basis, be sure to share this blog with friends and family. In case you have any health concerns, please use the comment boxes.
Get useful health tips and remedies regularly, in your Facebook feed.
Latest posts by Steve Marc (see all)
- Foods to Increase Female Sex Drive - February 23, 2018
- Pneumonia in Early Life Elevates Asthma Risk - February 5, 2018
- Ways to get Rid of Lurkers, or Hidden Pimples - January 24, 2018
- Link between hormonal birth control and breast cancer revealed - January 8, 2018
- Everything you Need to Know about Sulfa Allergies - January 3, 2018