Cardio workout is an essential element for health and wellbeing. You do not have to spend hours at the gym to maintain cardiovascular health and lose extra pounds. You can implement cardio workouts at home even if you do not have a lot of space or gym equipment.
Cardio exercise is essential for good health. It improves your heart rate, making your heart pump blood faster. Regular cardio encourages oxygen supply which keeps your heart and lungs healthy. Cardio exercise also helps you lose weight, get better sleep, and reduce the risk of developing chronic disease. But you can make it outside for a running session or don’t feel like hitting the gym. There is a range of cardio exercises you can do at home.
Even if you are new to cardio, you can easily get these moves. Here is a list of some of the best cardio exercises at home to add to your daily routine.
- Jumping Jacks: Jumping jacks is a beginner cardiovascular exercise that you can perform anywhere. The classic move works
- Stand with your legs, width apart and arms down
- Jump while spreading your legs wider than shoulder-width bringing the arms overhead
- Jump to center and repeat
You can increase the intensity of your cardio exercise by jumping higher or faster. One can also reduce intensity by doing it slower.
- High Knees: You can also say jogging in place. This is nothing but running to perform it anywhere with minimal space.
- Stand with your legs together in one place and arms at your side.
- Lift one knee as high as possible (nearly towards your chest). Lower your leg and repeat with the other knee.
- Keep practicing alternating knees, pumping your arms up and down.
- Standing Oblique Crunch: The type of cardio exercise is low impact and ideal for those new to cardio workouts. This includes lifting of legs which engages your core muscles on your sides.
- Stand with your legs width apart. Keep your hands on the back of your head, make sure you point your elbow outward.
- Now bend towards your right, moving your right elbow down to almost touching your right knee that you need to move up.
- Go back to your starting position. Repeat on the left side.
- Butt Kicks: To perform butt kicks, you need to practice the opposite of high knees. Instead of lifting your knees, you will have to lift your heels towards your butt.
- Stand in a straight position and keep your arms at your side.
- Bring one heel up towards your hip. Lower your foot and repeat it with the other foot.
- Continue practicing alternating your feet and pumping your arms.
- Crab Walk: Improve blood flow in a fun way with crab walk. It strengthens your upper arms and effectively your back, core, and legs.
- Sit on the floor while bending your knees and feet flat on the floor. Keep your hands on the floor under your shoulders, fingers pointing in a forward position.
- Now lift your hips off the floor. Start to walk backward using your arms and legs. Make sure you walk while keeping your weight evenly distributed between your arms and legs.
- Keep on walking backward for the desired distance.
- Lateral Shuffles: Lateral shuffles, type of cardio workout which increases your heart rate while improving your coordination.
- Stand with your feet and hip-width apart. Lean forward slightly while bending your knees and hips.
- Lift your right foot while pushing your left foot and move towards your right while keeping your form.
- Place your feet together and continue to shuffle to the right.
- Repeat the steps for your left side as well.
Make sure you evenly work for both sides, shuffle for the same amount of space.
- Squat Jumps: If you wish to increase the exercise intensity, squat jumps can be a perfect start that includes your glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, and calves.
- Stand with the feet hip-width apart and arms at your sides.
- Bend your knees to squat
- Now jump from the squat position while extending your hips until the body is straight.
- Land on your feet; make sure you do it softly.
- Repeat the exercise while using different arm movements.
Cardio workouts at home can be an important part of an individual’s exercise routine. There are plenty of activities that you can easily implement at home. Moreover, just because you are taking part in a home training program does not mean you are not susceptible to injury. Be cautious while performing cardio at home. The kit is important to check with a health care specialist before beginning an exercise program to help reduce the risk of health issues or worsening any current symptoms.