We all must be aware of the fact that sugar cravings and eating too many foods that contain sugar amount can cause various health complications such as obesity, diabetes, and heart problems. If one eats to satisfy his/her sugar cravings, the sugary foods that he/she ate can cause a quick rise in blood glucose (sugar) level and then a crash (a sugar crash occurs when blood glucose drops below normal). This sugar crash, then makes that individual to crave for more sugar, so he/she eats more sugar-rich food items, and the cycle goes on.
It is possible to break this cycle by eating some healthy alternatives that fight sugar cravings. It is recommended that people can eat these following nineteen healthy foods to fight sugar cravings:
- Tomatoes-If you want to curb sugar cravings then tomato is the best option to eat on a regular basis. Along with onions and Romaine lettuce, tomatoes are on the top list of the most chromium-rich foods. Moreover, these red nutritional superheroes are a great source of serotonin. Studies suggest that a decrease in serotonin level is responsible for causing sugar craving. The serotonin in tomatoes functions as a neurotransmitter that helps brain cells and nervous system cells to communicate with one another and inform that sugar cravings have been satisfied.
- Cinnamon-The extraordinary properties of cinnamon helps keep sugar cravings at bay. Taking half a teaspoon of cinnamon daily can be an effective at normalizing your blood glucose levels and reducing needs for eating sugar-rich foods. It contains hydroxychalcone, which helps in enhancing the effects of insulin and satisfies your sugar cravings. Cinnamon is also useful in preventing post-meal blood sugar spikes, which is one of the main causes of sugar cravings and normalizes the blood glucose level.
- Apples-It is said that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. But did you aware of the fact that apples can also keep sugar cravings at bay? We all know that fruits taste naturally sweet which is an ideal choice for satisfying one’s sugar cravings.
- Sweet potatoes-Sweet potatoes taste naturally sweet when they cooked. These can be cut down into two pieces and fried to make sweet potato fries or can be eaten boiled by sprinkling salt and lemon on them.
- Sweet corn-Another healthy option is sweet corn to fight sugar cravings. They are different from ordinary field corn and are rich in antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and dietary fibers.
- Beans- beans are legumes that are great plant-based sources of fiber and protein. They are tasty and highly nutritious. The combination of protein and fiber make it a great choice for preventing sugar cravings.
- Yogurt-Being a fermented food item, yogurt increases the body’s immune system and can help regulate appetite and reduce sugar cravings. Yoghurt can help you stay away from sugar.
- Romaine lettuce-It can help you in controlling your sugar cravings due to its high concentration of a mineral called chromium, which plays a significant role in stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- Eggs-Eggs contain B vitamin complex which is known to satisfy cravings for sugar. Also, the presence of protein prevents overeating by making you feel full for longer.
- Prunes-These are dried plums, full of fiber and other essential nutrients and taste very sweet.
- Oats-Staring a day with freshly cooked oatmeal in breakfast is a great way. Eating them early has been shown to reduce cravings along with the calories that you consume throughout the day.
- Fish-According to studies, fish has been shown to make the body more sensitive to the leptin hormone, which helps to promote the development of gray matter in the part of the brain that regulates food cravings and make you lees feel less likely to eat sugary items.
- Chicory greens-These contain vitamin B6, a well known anti-craving agent. It is a great functional food to prevent sugar cravings.
- Berries-An excellent and nutritious choice to prevent yourself to eat sugar-rich foods. Their high fiber content makes them quite low in sugar.
- Dark Chocolates-Dark chocolate containing 7-% cocoa also contains polyphenol (healthy plant compounds). Polyphenols have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which make it good for heart health.
- Sugar-free chewing gums-Gums or mints made up of artificial sweeteners are a great choice to control your sugar cravings as they contain a minimal amount of calories and no sugar.
- Dates-The fruit of the date palm tree is a great source of iron, potassium, fiber, and other beneficial plant compounds.
- Chia seeds-These seeds contain 40% of soluble fiber, which keeps you feeling fuller for a longer period and prevent sugar cravings.
- Whole grains- Eating meals that involve whole grains can help you in leading a longer and healthier life. Moreover, their high fiber content makes you feel full for a longer time.
Latest posts by Stella Green (see all)
- Safety Measure for Alzheimer’s Patients - February 17, 2019
- 6 Tips to Avoid Muscle Cramps - February 15, 2019
- Tips for Thicker Longer Eyelashes without Extensions - February 8, 2019
- Medications that can help you Quit Smoking - January 19, 2019
- Tips To Prevent Dry Skin This Winter - January 14, 2019