- Doxycycline Hydrochloride
- Dox T-SL
- Doxycycline Hydrochloride
Doxycycline Hydrochloride is a broad spectrum tetracycline antibiotic useful in the treatment of Acne vulgaris and various other infection. It acts by killing the growth of bacteria and fights with the infection. It is a long acting antibiotic with maximum potency and least side effects. It is available in the form of Oral capsule dosage form on our website.
Understanding the ailment it is used for:
Doxycycline Hydrochloride is a very good medicine prescribed for treating certain types of bacterial infections like:
- Acne vulgaris: is a condition in which there is an eruption of mild to severe pimples and cysts mostly on the face, back, arms and chest. It is also known as juvenile Acne.
- Other bacterial infection such Vaginitis, breast cancer, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, genitourinary tract infections, GI infections, heart failure, malaria prophylaxis, opthalmic infections, plasmodium falciparum malaria, pneumonia, respiratory tract infections
Understanding the drug Doxycycline Hydrochloride:
How it works?
Doxycycline Hydrochloride is an antibiotic that stops the synthesis of cellular proteins of the bacteria by following ways:
- It binds with the two ribosomal subunits i.e. 30S and 50S and stops the translocation process
- It also blocks the attachment of aminoacyl tRNA to the mRNA
- It reduces the free fatty acid concentration and suppresses the growth of anaerobic bacteria responsible for acne i.e. Propionibacterium acnes found in sebaceous glands and follicles.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Doxycycline Hydrochloride if you:
- are allergic or sensitive to Doxycycline Hydrochloride
- are allergic to Tetracycline
- you have antibiotic associated colitis
- are prone to allergies
- you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- you are breast feeding
How much to apply?
This medicine is available in an oral capsule dosage form. Always use the medicine as prescribed by the doctor. The usual recommended dosage starts from 100 mg capsule once a day. For acne, 50 mg capsule is given once a day. In case of any confusion related to the dosage of a drug it should be discussed with the doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Doxycycline Hydrochloride is available on our website in following preparation:
- Dox T-SL 100 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Dox T-SL is manufactured by a well known pharmaceutical giant, Cipla Pharmaceuticals Private limited. It is available on website in packs of 30, 60 and 90 capsules.
How to take?
This medicine is meant to be taken orally. Doxycycline Hydrochloride Capsule is meant to be swallowed with plenty of fluids or water. Don’t open the capsule shell. Always take the medicine at the same time each day as it is easier to remember.
When to take?
Doxycycline Hydrochloride capsules are generally taken once a day during or after a meal. Taking the medicine at the same time each day will have the best effect. It also helps you to remember when to take the medicine. It may cause gastrointestinal disturbances if taken empty stomach. Take your doctor’s advice if there is any confusion about the dosage time.
For how long it should be used?
Take this medicine as long as the doctor tells you to take. Do not skip the medicine unless you find any problems while having this medicine, in such case talk to the healthcare professional involved with your treatment procedure.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
In case of overdose, talk to your doctor immediately. One can even experience stomach upset and vomiting, in that case consult with your doctor.
What if you miss the dose?
In case you forget to use the medication, use it as soon as you remember, as long as it is at least 12 hours before your next dose. Do not double up the dose to catch up the missed dose.
What are the side effects?
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any unusual effects. One may or may not experience them. Following are the listed side effects of Doxycycline Hydrochloride:
- Skin rashes
- Hemolytic anemia
- Stained teeth
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions. This way, doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Doxycycline Hydrochloride. Following are the drugs that interact with this drug:
- Iron salts
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Sodium acetate
- Sodium picosulphate
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before using the drug in pregnancy
- Always complete the full treatment course
- Don’t use the expired drug
- Doxycycline Hydrochloride increases the skin sensitivity towards sunlight, so always apply sunscreen or wear protective clothing before going outside
- If you experience severe diarrhea, consult with your doctor immediately