|Pack Size||Qty||Price Per Pill or Unit||Price||Offer|
|30 Tablet/s||US$ 0.16||US$ 4.86||
|60 Tablet/s||US$ 0.16||US$ 9.73||
|90 Tablet/s||US$ 0.16||US$ 14.61||
|US Brand Name||Inderal|
Propranolol is a beta adrenergic receptor blocker widely used as an antihypertensive medicine. It prevents chest pain and improves survival of a heart attack. It relaxes blood vessels and reduces the blood pressure & heart rate. It is given in various cardiovascular conditions like:
- Angina pectoris
- Reduces the severity and frequency of migraine headaches
Understating the ailments it is used for:
Propranolol is used in the treatment of hypertension, chest pain and heart attack. It is given in various cardiovascular conditions.
Understanding the drug Propranolol:
How it works?
Propranolol is a beta blocker and is one of the most common drugs given in the hypertension.
Propranolol is a non selective beta blocker. It gets bind to beta receptors in the heart and vascular smooth muscles and inhibits their action. This all results in following effects:
- Relaxes the blood vessels and aids smooth arterial blood flow
- Effortless pumping of blood out of the heart and around the body
- Reduces high level of blood pressure
- Provides oxygen by decreasing energy used by the heart to pump blood around the body
- Reduces workload of the heart and amount of oxygen needed to pump the blood around the body
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Propranolol if you:
- Are allergic to Propranolol
- Have diabetes
- Have bronchitis, emphysema and other breathing difficulties
- Have hypotension or low blood pressure
- Having heart problems like sick sinus syndrome, bradycardia and blockage in heart
- Have congestive heart failure
- Have a hypo or hyperthyroidism
- Have myasthenia gravis
- Have pheochromocytoma
- Have kidney disease
- Have blood circulation problems like Raynaud’s disease or peripheral vascular disease
- Are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
How much to take?
Always take the dose as prescribed by the physician. It is very important to consume medicine timely. The general recommended dose is 40 mg and is given twice a day. The effect is shown within 1 or 2 weeks and dose can be increased or decreased depending upon the patient’s condition and demand. With time, dose adjustments are generally done according to the response of the patient. Always take the medicine as prescribed by the doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Propranolol tablets contain the following four strength combinations that are available on our website:
- Ciplar 10 mg
- Ciplar 20 mg
- Ciplar LA 40 mg
- Ciplar LA 80 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Ciplar and Ciplar LA is manufactured by Cipla Pharmaceuticals limited, a pharmaceutical giant. It is available on our websites in the pack of 30 tablets.
How to take?
You must swallow the whole tablet with one glass full of water. Do not crush or chew it.
When to take?
Propranolol is taken twice a day. It is the best way to take medicine at same time daily as it gives best results and helps to remember when to take the drug.
For how long should it be taken?
It is important to take the drug as instructed by your doctor. Abrupt discontinuation of medicine can cause adverse reactions. So before stopping the drug intake, always consult physician first.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
You may need urgent medical attention if you experience below mentioned symptoms:
- Irregular beating of heart
What if you miss the dose?
Take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose then skip the dose and take your next dose on the correct time. Do not double up the dose to compensate for the missed one.
What are the side effects?
All medicines have their side effects, sometimes they are serious but most of the times they are not. Common side effects are mentioned below:
- Impotency or decreased libido
- Abdominal cramps
- Weakness and tired feeling
Serious side effects which need medical attention are as follows:
- Fast heartbeat
- Abdominal pain
- Shortness of breath
- Skin reactions like fever, skin pale, sore throat, swelling in tongue and face
- Depression , confusion and hallucinations
- Pain in arms or shoulders
- Upper stomach pain
- Cold feeling in hands and feet
- General illness
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions. This way, doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Propranolol.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Keep the medicine in a close tight container and out of reach of children
- Don’t use the expired medicine
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine
- Patients having diabetes may not feel a clinical symptom of fast heart beat due to Propranolol. Other low blood sugar symptoms like dizziness, sweating remains unaffected with this drug. So it is recommended to check your blood sugar levels on regular basis
- This drug passes into breast milk and may cause fetal damage
- Propranolol causes bit dizziness so avoid doing any activity that requires alertness
- Monitor your blood pressure levels regularly
- Abrupt discontinuation can flare up the symptom of hyperthyroidism
- Along with this drug, diet exercise and weight control are also needed to keep blood pressure levels under control
- Don’t exceed the recommended dose