|Pack Size||Qty||Price Per Pill or Unit||Price||Offer|
|10 Tablet/s||US$ 1.88||US$ 18.77||
|30 Tablet/s||US$ 1.88||US$ 56.31||
|60 Tablet/s||US$ 1.88||US$ 112.61||
|US Brand Name||Imitrex|
Sumatriptan is a selective serotonin receptor antagonist useful in the treatment of migraine headache. It is one of the most recommended drugs given in migraine. Migraine is a severe throbbing headache accompanied with or without aura. Sumatriptan causes the relaxation of the narrowed blood vessels that helps in relieving migraine pain.
The ailments it is used for:
Sumatriptan is useful in relieving symptoms of migraine headaches like:
- Severe and throbbing headache
- Sensitivity to sound and light
Understanding the drug Sumatriptan:
Sumatriptan acts as a pain killer and wards off the critical symptoms like headache, nausea, vomiting and photo sensitivity.
How it works?
Sumatriptan is a structural analogue of 5 hydroxytryptamine (5 HT) receptor and exerts agonistic actions. 5 HT1B/D receptors are present on the cranial arteries & veins. This drug binds with these receptors and reduces the symptoms of migraine headache by following ways:
- Causes vasoconstriction and narrows the blood vessels
- Reduces the activity of trigeminal nerves present in the brain
- Decreases the transmission of pain signals by nerves to the brain
- Decreases the vascular inflammation associated with migraine
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Sumatriptan if you:
- Are allergic to Sumatriptan
- Are prone to allergies
- Are taking Sibutramine
- Are having some other types of migraine
- Have heart associated problems like heart attack, stroke and hypertension
- Are taking mono amino oxidase inhibitor drugs
- are pregnant or planning to become a pregnant
- are breast feeding
How much to take?
The dosage is solely decided by the Doctor after assessing your condition and various factors such as age, gender and body weight. One can’t fix the dose as it varies from patient to patient. The usual recommended dose intake ranges from 25 mg to 100 mg and maximum dose is 200 mg daily. It can be increased or decreased depending upon the patient’s response. Take the dose as prescribed by the Doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Sumatriptan is available in following strength preparations on our website:
- Suminat 25 mg
- Suminat 50 mg
- Suminat 100mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Suminat is manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals private limited, a well known pharmaceutical giant and is available on our website in the pack of 30, 60 and 90 tablets.
How to take?
Sumatriptan is taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the tablet with full glass of water or plenty of fluids. Don’t take the dose more or less than recommended.
When to take?
The intake of dosage depends upon your condition. Always take the medicine as per prescription. It is best to take the dose immediately you start noticing the signs and symptoms of migraine.
For how long should it be taken?
Take the medicine as long as recommended by the Doctor. Always ask the doctor before stopping the intake of the drug.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
If overdose, immediately consult with your concerned doctor. Take medical help as soon as possible if you encounter below stated symptoms:
- Blue skin or lips
- Chest pain
- Dilated pupils
- Motor in-coordination
- Breathing difficulties
What if you miss the dose?
Try to take the medicine at the same time each day; this reduces the chances of missing dose. Talk to your Doctor if you miss the dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to compensate with the previous one.
What are the side effects?
Every medicine shows some side effects, same way this drug also have some undesired effects with it. Sumatriptan shows common side effects such as:
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
- Mild skin rashes
Some serious and rare side effects that need serious consideration are stated below:
- Vision related problems
- Decreased urine output
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
- Extreme weakness
- Difficulty in breathing and swallowing
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions. This way, doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Sumatriptan. Following are the drugs that may interact with the drugs:
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per prescription
- Don’t use the expired drug
- Don’t share your medicine with anybody, even if they have the same symptoms
- Time to time lab test and monitoring with doctor is must while using this drug in order to assess the side effects
- Always store the medicine at the room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light
- This drug should not be used in children younger than 18 years of age
- This medicine should be avoided in elderly patients as there are increased chances of getting serious side effects
- Consult with your pharmacist about the proper disposal of the drug
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine