Hydrocortisone Acetate is a steroid hormone that works by decreasing inflammation of the skin. It is indicated in multiple skin conditions. Hydrocortisone acetate is a mild corticosteroid and decreases the allergic signs such as:
- Redness of skin
The ailments it is used for:
Hydrocortisone is an anti allergic drug given in the following conditions:
- Allergic symptoms such as sneezing, redness and pain of skin
- Itching and irritation
- Eye allergy conditions like uvea, conjunctive and iris
Understanding the drug Hydrocortisone:
Hydrocortisone is a potent steroidal drug that controls the allergic signs and symptoms.
How it works?
Hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid having anti inflammatory action. It prevents the generation of allergic chemicals that causes inflammation. This drug inhibits the inflammatory chemicals and controls the allergic symptoms.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Hydrocortisone if you:
- Are allergic to Hydrocortisone
- Have hypertension
- Have stomach or intestinal problems
- Have tuberculosis
- Have liver or kidney disease
- Have thyroid problems
- Have hypokalemia
- Are epileptic
- are pregnant or planning pregnancy
- are breast feeding
How much to take?
The dosage is solely decided by the Doctor after assessing your condition and various factors such as age, gender and body weight. One can’t fix the dose as it varies from patient to patient. Always take the dose as prescribed by the Doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Hydrocortisone is available in two strength combination on our website:
- Hisone 5 mg
- Hisone 20 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Hisone is manufactured by Samarth Life sciences and is available on our website in the pack of 50 and 100 tablets.
How to take?
Hydrocortisone is taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the tablet with full glass of water. Don’t crush or chew the tablet.
When to take?
Always take the medicine as instructed by the Doctor or Pharmacist. Don’t consume the medicine in a greater amount. Generally, Hydrocortisone is taken orally three times a day. The intake of dosage varies from patient to patient. So, doctor will recommend the best therapeutic dose for you. Consult your doctor before taking the drug. In some cases, it is prescribed for 1 to 4 times a day and in some cases, it is meant to be taken once daily.
For how long should it be taken?
Take the medicine as long as recommended by the Doctor. Always ask the doctor before stopping the intake of the drug.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
If overdose, immediately consult with your concerned doctor. Take medical help as soon as possible if you encounter any unusual symptoms.
What if you miss the dose?
Try to take the medicine at the same time each day. This reduces the chances of missing dose. Talk to your Doctor if you miss the Dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up with the previous one.
What are the side effects?
Every medicine shows some side effects, same way this drug also have some undesired effects with it. Hydrocortisone shows common side effects such as:
- Heart burn
- Changes in menstrual period
- Increased sweating
Some serious and rare side effects that need serious consideration are stated below:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Severe allergic reaction like rash and itching
- Swollen face, lips , tongue and throat
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Sore throat
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions. This way, doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Hydrocortisone. Drugs listed below may interact with Hydrocortisone and can increase its sedation effect:
- Anti depressants
- Antiplatelet drugs like Clopidogrel and Warfarin
- Antifungal drugs
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per prescription
- Don’t use the expired drug
- Don’t share your medicine with anybody, even if they have the same symptoms
- Prolonged use can cause growth retardation so always consult your doctor or pharmacist before consuming it
- Always store the medicine at the room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light
- Use this medicine in pregnancy, if recommended by the Doctor
- Consult with your pharmacist about the proper disposal of the drug
- This drug can cause stomach bleeding in older adults so take the medicine when prescribed only
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine