Out Of Stock
TRUSTPILOT PRODUCT REVIEWS
|US Brand Name||Retrovir|
Zidovudine is a potent drug belonging to the class of nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase (nRTI) inhibitors. It is a drug that treats HIV infection and hepatitis B. It does not cure HIV infection, but it helps in decreasing the chances of AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). Zidovudine is a well known drug and are widely accepted due to its excellent safety profile. It decreases the amoaunt of HIV in blood. It is available on our website in the form of solid oral capsule dosage form.
The ailments, it is used for:
Zidovudine is a potent drug used in HIV infection and improves the quality of patient’s life.
Understanding the drug Lamivudine:
Zidovudine is a potent antiviral drug and is one of the most preferred drugs given by the doctor for the treatment of HIV.
How it works?
Zidovudine reacts by interfering with the viral reproductive system. It gets incorporated into viral DNA with the help of two enzymes, i.e. HIV reverse transcriptase and HBV polymerase and ultimately stops the formation of DNA. This way, it stops the DNA formation which is very vital for virus survival. This way, it delays the progression of viral infestation in the body.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Zidovudine if you:
- Are allergic to Zidovudine
- Are prone to allergies
- Are suffering from kidney disease
- Are suffering from pancreas problem
- Are suffering from a blood disorder
- Are alcoholic
- Are pregnant or planning to conceive
- Are breastfeeding
How much to take?
The dosage is solely decided by the Doctor after assessing your condition and various factors such as age, gender and body weight. One can’t fix the dose as it varies from patient to patient. The usual recommended dose has been 300 mg once a day for 12 hours or 200 mg orally after 8 hours. It can be increased or decreased depending upon the patient’s condition. Always take the dose as prescribed by the Doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Zidovudine is available in following strength preparations on our website:
- Zidovir 100 mg
- Zidovir 300 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Zidovir is manufactured by Cipla Pharmaceuticals private limited, a pharmaceutical giant and is available on our website in the pack of 30, 60 and 90 capsules.
How to take?
Zidovudine is taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the capsule with a full glass of water. Don’t try to open the capsule shell.
When to take?
Always take the medicine as instructed by the Doctor or Pharmacist. Don’t consume the medicine in a greater amount. The dose intake varies from patient to patient. So, doctor will recommend the best therapeutic dose for you. Consult your doctor before taking the drug.
For how long should it be taken?
Take the medicine as long as recommended by the Doctor. Always ask the doctor before stopping the drug intake.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
If overdose, immediately consult with your concerned doctor. Take medical help as soon as possible if you encounter any unusual symptoms.
What if you miss the dose?
Try to take the medicine at the same time each day. This reduces the chances of missing a dose. Talk to your Doctor if you miss the dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up with the previous one.
What are the side effects?
Every medicine shows some side effects, same way this drug also has some undesired effects with it. Zidovudine shows common side effects such as:
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
Some serious and rare side effects that need serious consideration are stated below:
- Skin rashes
- Liver problems
- Numbness, tingling or burning sensation
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions. This way, the doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Zidovudine. Few drugs like Doxorubicin, Stavudine and Ribavirin that may interact with Zidovudine.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per the prescription
- Don’t use the expired drugs
- Don’t share your medicine with anybody, even if they have the same symptoms
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you take Zidovudine. Drinking alcohol may increase your risk of liver or pancreas problems.
- Zidovudine may affect your blood sugar levels, check blood sugar levels closely
- Always store the medicine at the room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light
- This drug can cause severe dizziness so immediate consult with your doctor
- During pregnancy, one can take this medicine only after Doctor’s recommendation in order to prevent the further transmission of the HIV virus to the baby
- Consult with your pharmacist about the proper disposal of the drug
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine