Out Of Stock
|US Brand Name||Copegus|
Ribavirin is an antiviral drug in the treatment of viral infections. It belongs to the class of guanosine analogue antiviral drug. This medicine is used for the treatment of various serious conditions like RSV, Hepatitis C, viral hemorrhagic center and Hantavirus infection. It is available on our website in the form of oral capsule dosage form.
The ailments, it is used for:
Ribavirin is a drug that is given in the treatment of viral infections listed below:
- Lassa fever
- Hepatitis C
- Viral hemorrhagic fever
- Hantavirus infection
- Hepatitis B
Understanding the drug Ribavirin:
Ribavirin is a potent antiviral drug that treats multiple viral infections
How it works?
Ribavirin when taken gets changed into its mono, di and triphosphates metabolites. Ribavirin triphosphate is the active form that binds with vital enzymes, which stops the formation of RNA, resulting in viral death. It is one of the most preferred drug used for the viral problems as it has shown excellent compatibility with minimal side effects.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Ribavirin if you:
- Are allergic to Ribavirin
- Are prone to allergies
- Have kidney disease
- Are suffering from diabetes
- Are suffering from Human immunodeficiency syndrome
- Have blood disorder such as hemolytic anemia
- Have thyroid problem
- are pregnant or planning to become a pregnant
- are breast feeding
How much to take?
The dosage is solely decided by the Doctor after assessing your condition and various factors such as age, gender and body weight. One can’t fix the dose as it varies from patient to patient. It can be increased or decreased depending upon the patient’s condition. Always take the dose as prescribed by the Doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Ribavirin is available in following strength preparations on our website:
- Ribavin 200 mg
- Ribavin 100 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Ribavin tablets are manufactured by Lupin, a big pharmaceutical giant and are available on our website in the pack of 32, 64 and 128 tablets.
How to take?
Ribavirin is taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the capsule with a full glass of water. Don’t try to open the capsule shell.
When to take?
Always take the medicine as instructed by the Doctor or Pharmacist. Don’t consume the medicine in a greater amount. So, doctor will recommend the best therapeutic dose for you. Consult your doctor before taking the drug.
For how long should it be taken?
Apply the medicine as long as recommended by the Doctor. Always ask the doctor before stopping the drug intake.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
If overdose, immediately consult with your concerned doctor. Take medical help as soon as possible if you encounter any unusual symptoms.
What if you miss the dose?
Ribavirin is taken after doctor’s recommendation. Take the medicine as long recommended by the doctor. This reduces the chances of missing a dose. Talk to your doctor if you miss the dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up with the previous one.
What are the side effects?
Every medicine shows some side effects, same way this drug too have a some undesired effects with it. Ribavirin shows common side effects such as:
- Stomach pain and discomfort
- Pale skin
- Swelling in your hands or feet
Some serious and rare side effects that need serious consideration are stated as below:
- Blood in urine and stools
- Husky mood
- Hair loss
- Muscle cramps and stiffness
- Skin bruising or bleeding
- Unusual weakness
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions. This way, the doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Ribavirin.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per the prescription
- Don’t use the expired drugs
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while using this medicine
- Don’t share your medicine with anybody, even if they have the same symptoms
- Always store the medicine at the room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light
- This drug may decrease the body’s ability to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections
- It may cause dry mouth and increases the risk of teeth and gum problems. Practice proper brushing and flossing of teeth is must along with regular visits to your dentist.
- Always ask for the proper drug disposal with your pharmacists.
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine