Montair chewable Tablets
Montelukast Sodium is an anti allergic drug that prevents the wheezing and shortness of breath induced by asthma or any other allergy. It blocks the allergy causing substances like leukotrienes that cause unusual symptoms like:
- Breath shortness
- Stuffy nose
Montelukast sodium helps in making breathing easier by decreasing swelling of airways and clears the breathing process. It is also given before exercise to avoid bronchospasm during exercise.
The ailments it is used for:
Montelukast Sodium is leukotriene receptor antagonist drug given in the following conditions:
- Allergic rhinitis
- Symptoms of hay fever
- Allergic symptoms such as sneezing, itchy nose and throat
- Swelling of face , redness and pain
Understanding the drug Montelukast Sodium:
Montelukast Sodium is a leukotriene antagonist that is used to control the allergic signs and symptoms.
How it works?
It works by opposing the action of leukotriene D4 receptor that causes mucus formation, edema and contraction of smooth muscles. This way, Montelukast sodium relaxes the bronchial muscles and clears the airway passage for the facilitation of smooth breathing. It eliminates the allergy causing elements produced in the body.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Montelukast Sodium if you:
- Are allergic to Montelukast sodium
- Have liver disease
- Have kidney disease
- are pregnant or planning to become a pregnant
- are breast feeding
How much to take?
The dosage is solely decided by the Doctor after assessing your condition and various factors such as age, gender and body weight. One can’t fix the dose as it varies from patient to patient. The usual recommended dose for adults is 10 mg. For children ranging from 6 to 15 years, 5 mg is an initial recommended dose. It can be increased or decreased depending upon the patient’s condition. Always take the dose as prescribed by the Doctor.
What are the strengths available?
Montelukast Sodium is available in three strength combination on our website:
- Montair chewable tablets 5 mg
- Montair chewable tablets 4 mg
- Montair 10 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Montair chewable tablets are manufactured by Cipla Pharmaceuticals ltd and are available on our website in the pack of 30 tablets.
Montair tablets are manufactured by Cipla Pharmaceutcials ltd and are available on our website in the pack of 30 tablets.
How to take?
Montelukast Sodium is taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Swallow the tablet with full glass of water. In case of chewable tablets, chew the tablet thoroughly before swallowing.
When to take?
Always take the medicine as instructed by the Doctor or Pharmacist. Don’t consume the medicine in a greater amount. Generally, Montelukast Sodium is taken once a day in the evening. In case of chewable tablets, take the tablet empty stomach or one hour before the meal. They should be chewed properly before swallowing. The intake of dosage varies from patient to patient. So, doctor will recommend the best therapeutic dose for you. Consult your doctor before taking the drug.
For how long should it be taken?
Take the medicine as long as recommended by the Doctor. Always ask the doctor before stopping the intake of the drug.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
If overdose, immediately consult with your concerned doctor. Take medical help as soon as possible if you encounter below stated symptoms:
- Stomach pain
- Dryness of mouth
What if you miss the dose?
Try to take the medicine at the same time each day. This reduces the chances of missing dose. Talk to your Doctor if you miss the Dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up with the previous one.
What are the side effects?
Every medicine shows some side effects, same way this drug also have some undesired effects with it. Some side effects are listed below:
- Sleeping problems
- Tingling sensation
- Severe dizziness
- Mood swings like agitation and aggression
- Increased bleeding tendency
- Churg-Strauss syndrome
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions.This way, doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Montelukast Sodium. Tolbutamide is one drug that decreases the metabolism and clearance of Montelukast sodium so there is need of dose adjustment.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per prescription
- Don’t use the expired medicine
- Chewable tablets contain aspartame that can cause problem in patients of phenylketonuria. So, one should consult with doctor before using this drug
- Don’t share your medicine with anybody, even if they have the same symptoms
- In pregnancy, use this drug after doctor’s recommendation only
- Patients who are sensitive to Aspirin should avoid using this drug
- It cannot produce immediate relief in Asthma attack so patients are advised to have appropriate rescue medicine
- Always store the medicine at the room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light
- Consult with your pharmacist about the proper disposal of the drug
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine