Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl is a prescribed medicine that comprises of two active ingredients one is Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl in it. They together improve the blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetes. This drug is administered along with the diet and exercise and helps in lowering increased blood sugar levels of the body.
The ailments it is used for:
Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of type 2 Diabetes. It is given as an adjunct with diet and exercise in the management of Type 2 diabetes.
Understanding the drug Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl :
How it works?
Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl helps in lowering the blood sugar levels of the body.
Sitagliptin is a dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitor. It works by increasing the release of Incretin hormone that raises levels of insulin in the body. This in turn, lowers the glucose production and maintains apt blood glucose levels in the body.
This ingredient belongs to the class of Biguanides and acts via multiple mechanisms that collectively produce hypoglycemic effects. It acts on various sites as stated below:
- Metformin causes less production of sugar from the liver cells
- It increases the sensitivity of cells to insulin, this way it removes sugar from the blood
- It also delays intestinal sugar absorption into the blood stream especially after eating
This way, it controls the blood sugar levels. It effectively controls the sugar level between and directly after meals.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl if you:
- Are hypersensitive towards any of ingredients present in it (Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl )
- Have diabetic ketoacidosis
- Have type 1 diabetes
- Are breast feeding
- Have history of pancreatitis
- Are suffering from kidney related problems
- Have reduced liver functions
- Are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
How much to take?
There is no fixed therapeutic regimen for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. The dose varies according to the condition of a patient. Many factors such as body weight, presence of other disease condition and tolerance power are assessed and then a dosage is prescribed. The usual dose starts from 50 mg Sitagliptin Phosphate / 500 mg Metformin hydrochloride and can be increased or decreased depending upon the condition. Doctor will always recommend the best therapeutic dose for you, so that maximum effect is generated with no side effects at all.
What are the strengths available?
Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl are available in two strength combination on our website:
- Janumet 50 mg + 500 mg
- Janumet 50 mg + 1000 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Janumet is manufactured by Merck ltd, a pharmaceutical giant and is available on our website in the pack of 28 tablets.
How to take?
Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl are taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Take the tablet with full glass of water. Don’t crush or chew the tablet. Regular check your blood sugar levels. If you experience extreme low levels of blood sugar, always keep a source of sugar with yourself.
When to take?
Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl is generally taken twice daily with meals. Always take the medicine as prescribed by the Doctor.
For how long should it be taken?
This drug is meant to be taken on regular basis, so keep on taking the drug as long as recommended by the Doctor. Sudden discontinuation can lead to undesired and sever problems.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
If overdose, talk to Doctor or Poisons information centre for advice. Take medical help as soon as possible if you encounter any unusual symptoms like:
- Excessive hunger
What if you miss the dose?
Try to take the medicine at the same time each day; this reduces the chances of missing dose. Consult your Doctor if you miss the Dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to compensate with the previous one.
What are the side effects?
Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl is very effective and potent antidiabetic drug. Along with the highly therapeutic drug effect, it also exerts some side effects. This is not essential that everyone will encounter these below mentioned effects such as:
Very common side effects generally happen in initial stages of the treatment. With pace of time, they diminish:
- Abdominal discomfort and pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stuffy nose
- Joint pain
- Loss of appetite
- Throat soreness
- Change in taste like metallic taste of mouth
Serious side effects are as follows:
- Skin rashes, hives
- Breathing difficulties
- Swelling of face, lips and tongue
- Muscular pain and cramping
- Unexplained tiredness and weakness
- Stomach pain and discomfort
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always tell doctor about the medicines you are taking. Doctor will provide you a list of the drugs that will interact with Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl and may hamper its therapeutic efficacy. Some of the drugs that interact with Sitagliptin Phosphate and Metformin HCl are as following:
- Oral contraceptives
- Opioid drugs like Morphine
- Steroids like prednisone and Dexamethasone
- ACE Inhibitors like Ramipril and Enalapril
- Beta agonist such as Salbutamol and Formoterol
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per prescription
- Always store the medicine at the room temperature and away from moisture, heat and light
- Don’t use the expired drug
- Always monitor your blood sugar levels
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while using this drug
- Don’t share your medicine with anybody, even if they have the same symptoms
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine
- Follow strict diet and exercise regimen while taking this drug