Azelaic acid is a topical gel antibiotic used in the treatment of mild to moderate acne. It stops the formation of pimples under the surface of the skin. Azelaic acid belongs to the class of dicarboxylic acids. It kills the bacteria that infects the pores and decreases the production of the keratin that is responsible for the Acne. It is available in the form of topical gel dosage form that treats acne.
Understanding the ailment it is used for:
Azelaic acid is a very good medicine prescribed for the treatment of the below listed condition:
- Acne vulgaris
Understanding the drug Azelaic acid:
How it works?
Azelaic acid is an antibacterial drug that kills the bacteria by inhibiting the generation process of cellular proteins. This way, it reduces the keratin that is responsible for the growth of acne bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes). Azelaic acid when applied increases the turnover of the skin cells and helps in unblocking of the pores. It reduces the formation of comedones and spots by decreasing the growth of keratin surface skin cells.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Azelaic acid if you:
- are allergic or sensitive to Azelaic acid
- are prone to allergies
- you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- you are breast feeding
How much to apply?
This medicine is available in a topical gel dosage form. Always use the medicine as prescribed by the doctor. It is meant to be applied on the skin surface. In case of any confusion related to the drug dosage that should be discussed with the doctor.
What are the strengths available?
This drug Azelaic acid is available on our website in following preparations:
- Finacea 10% (15 gm)
Who is the manufacturer?
Finacea is manufactured by a popular pharmaceutical giant, Intendis Inc. It is available on website in multiple packs.
How to apply?
Always take the medicine as prescribed by the doctor.
- Wash your hands and face before applying the gel so as to make them clean and hygienic
- Dry the skin using a soft towel and apply a thin film over the affected area
- Gently rub it into the skin well
- Avoid applying it to the normal skin
- Wash your hands once you finish handling the medication
- Do not apply near the eyes, mouth, and other mucous membranes
- Do not use large amounts of this medication or apply it more often than directed
When to apply?
Apply it twice a day in morning and evening so as the acne scars heal faster. Proper care of the infected area is necessary. Time to time application of the gel will prove beneficial and speeds up the healing procedure. Apply Azelaic acid gel at the same time every day as this will become your habit and is less forgotten by the patient. Take your doctor’s advice about the time of application if there is any confusion about the dosage timings.
For how long it should be used?
Use this medicine as long as recommended by the doctor. Do not skip the medicine unless you find any problems while having this medicine, in such case talk to the healthcare professional involved with your treatment procedure.
What if you apply too much (overdose)?
In case of overdose, talk to your doctor immediately.
What if you miss the dose?
In case you forget to use the medication, use it as soon as you remember, as long as it is at least 12 hours before your next dose. Do not double up the dose to catch up the missed dose.
What are the side effects?
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any unusual effects. One may or may not experience them. Following are the common side effects of Azelaic acid Phosphate:
- Skin dryness
- Warmth feeling
- Irritation and itching at the site of application
- Redness and scaling
- Temporary burning and stinging
Following are the serious side effects that needs medical attention are as listed below:
- Breathing difficulties
- Chest tightness
- Swelling of mouth, face, lips and tongue
- Blistering and excessive redness or peeling
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always inform your doctor about the drugs you are taking till date. Give a complete list of prescription or non prescription drugs and any other disease conditions. This way, doctor is able to decide and give you the list of drugs and other things that may interact with Azelaic acid.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor before using the drug in pregnancy
- Always complete the full treatment course
- If swallowed immediately take medical help
- Do not apply this medicine on children under the age of 2 years unless instructed by doctor
- Talk to your doctor before using any other medicines or cleansers on your skin
- This drug is meant to be applied topically
- Don’t use the expired drug