Budecort Inhaler is a medicine that is given to treat asthma attacks. It is a potent corticosteroid that avoids the problem symptoms of Asthma such as trouble and shortness of breathing, wheezing and coughing. This medicine is available in an inhaler dosage form. It is a portable device used for releasing the medication into the body via lungs. Metered dose inhaler is a form of inhaler in which fixed dose of drug is present in an aerosol form. This dosage form exerts rapid action with least side effects. They act on the target site and produce the action. The inhaled maximal effect takes place within five to 20 minutes of dosing. It is one of the most recommended drugs used in the prevention of Asthma.
The ailments it is used for:
Budecort Inhaler is used in prevention of Asthma attack and is given in long term management of Asthma.
Understanding the drug Budecort Inhaler:
How it works?
It contains one active ingredient Budesonide. It is a synthetic potent glucocorticoid which exerts anti-inflammatory properties.
This medicine directly goes into the airways and lungs and produces its effect. It prevents the signs and symptoms of Asthma. It has anti-inflammatory action and acts on the inflamed airways. This reduces the inflammation by scavenging harmful mediators of inflammation and causes narrowing of the airways. This way, it facilitates smooth breathing and avoids constriction of airways. It is recommended to be used daily as it prevents the development of asthma symptoms.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Budecort Inhaler if you:
- Are allergic to any of the ingredients present in Budecort Inhaler
- Are planning pregnancy or in case of breast feeding mothers
- Have history of tuberculosis, liver disease and osteoporosis
- Have history of pulmonary tuberculosis
- Have chest, eye and mouth infection
How much to take?
The dose intake is prescribed by the Doctor depending upon the severity and demand of the disease condition. Always follow doctor’s instructions. Dose can vary widely and is required to be taken on regular basis.
What are the strengths available?
Budecort Inhaler is available in one strength combination having an active ingredient Budesonide in it:
- Budecort Inhaler 200 mcg
Who is the manufacturer?
Budecort Inhaler is manufactured by Cipla, a pharmaceutical giant. It is available on our website in the pack of 200 metered doses.
How to take?
Always take the medicine as prescribed by the doctor. Following are the ways to take the medicine:
- Always check the mouthpiece before using, it should always be clean and dirt free
- Shake the inhaler by holding it in a upright position
- Breathe out the air and completely empty your lungs
- Put the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips
- Take a deep breath through your mouth and press the canister to get puff of the medicine
- Remove the inhaler and continue to hold your breath for 10 seconds
- Breathe out through nose
- Replace the cap and if needed take the second step by repeating steps mentioned above
The leaflet is given in which full information of the drug and its apt way of using is clearly written. Just go through once and then take the medicine. If you have any doubt related to the drug and its usage talk to your Doctor.
When to take?
Take the medicine as prescribed by the Doctor. He will decide and tell you how many puffs to be taken each time. Always try to take the dose at the same time each day; this reduces the chances of missing a dose.
For how long should it be taken?
Do not stop taking Budecort Inhaler or change the dose without consulting with your Doctor. This drug is meant to be taken on regular basis, so keep on taking the drug as long as recommended by the Doctor.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
If overdose, talk to Doctor or Poisons information centre for advice. Take medical help as soon as possible.
What if you miss the dose?
Consult your Doctor if you miss the Dose. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up.
What are the side effects?
Every medicine has some side effects; Budecort Inhaler is the one which has some mild and severe side effects also. Some commonly observed side effects are as following:
- Sores in mouth
- Hoarse voice
- Oral thrush
- Pain in stomach
Some rare side effects associated with it are as follows:
- Swelling of the face
- Breathing difficulties
- Vision related problems like glaucoma and cataract
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. You doctor will provide you the list of drugs to be avoided while taking Budecort Inhaler. Some of the drugs which interact with Budecort Inhaler are as follows:
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always take the medicine as per prescription
- Don’t use the expired drug
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine
- Avoid coming in contact with the people who are suffering from Chicken pox and measles
- This drug doesn’t produce immediate relief so is not given in acute asthma attack