Almost all of us have experienced dandruff problem at some point in our lives. If you have ever suffered from this scalp issue, you have probably known with the embarrassment associated with it. The specks of skin flakes look bad on your shoulders after scratching your itchy scalp.
If you want to get rid of the problem, try out holistic remedies first instead of buying expensive anti-dandruff shampoos that are showcased on the shelves of grocery shops. There are some effective and safe home remedies that can help resolve scalp issues, many of which are found in your cupboard. These home remedies include the use of garlic, lemon, and baking soda on your scalp. Before you get into the details of home treatments for dandruff, let’s have a close look at this scalp disorder.
Dandruff- an embarrassing scalp disorder
Dandruff is a common skin condition that can affect anyone at any point in life. The scalp disorder affects people regardless of age, gender, or race. Despite its prevalence, many people are not aware how dandruff looks like. It typically looks like greasy flakes of skin, which become more visible when you wear dark colored clothes such as blacks and blues. If you have dandruff, you may also have scaly patches of skin and is sometimes occur along with redness or inflammation. Some possible health issues can trigger dandruff include:
- Skin conditions such as psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and eczema
- Neurological illness
- Irritation of hair products
- Poor eating habits
- Hormonal changes
- Environmental factors, such as dust and pollution
Get rid of dandruff with medicated products
People who want to remove dandruff quickly can reach for medicated shampoos and other medicated products after consulting a dermatologist. But the question arises are these a permanent cure for dandruff? The answer is not really. The medicated shampoos are only effective while you are continuously using them for the recommended period. After discontinuing using them, dandruff may return. Most of the medicated anti-dandruff products contain zinc, pyrithione, and ketoconazole as the ingredients. Although this active component may be effective in controlling dandruff but can irritate your scalp if used for a longer period and cause your hair to become dry and frizzy. Other anti-dandruff products may also contain coal tar which cures dandruff by delaying the process of skin cell regeneration. However, if these medicated products, if used according to a dermatologist for the recommended period along with some lifestyle changes, can help you get rid of dandruff as quickly as possible.
One of the safest way to reduce dandruff problem without using [products containing harmful chemical is by using salt to exfoliate the flaky skin on your scalp. All you want to do is massage the salt on your scalp and take a bath to remove it easily. You can also use the following home remedies to eliminate dandruff problem from your life.
Tried and tested anti-dandruff treatments
For people who think using anti-dandruff shampoos and medicated products do more harm than good can try these tested home-made treatment methods to remove dandruff effectively and naturally:
- Coconut oil-Gently massage coconut oil on your scalp before showering. Do it at least thrice a weak to achieve maximum benefits. This treatment not only keeps you dandruff free but makes your scalp smell good. You can also add some drops of lemon into coconut oil to attain better results.
- Apple cider vinegar-Dilute a quarter of apple cider vinegar with a quarter cup of water. Apply the solution on your scalp, wait for fifteen minutes to one hour and then rinse off with water. Doing this treatment twice a week will control dandruff by reducing the growth of yeast on your scalp/
Tea tree oil- It is a quick and easy way to treat dandruff. Massage tea tree oil on your scalp to reduce excess oil production and itchiness. You can also combine tea tree oil with your shampoo.
Latest posts by Stella Green (see all)
- Random Erection Could Spell Trouble for Your Sex Life - May 24, 2018
- Is Toilet Paper Bad For Your Health? - May 22, 2018
- Face Scrubs May Do More Harm Than Good - May 20, 2018
- 5 Signs that you’re emotionally Exhausted and on the Brink of Burnout - May 18, 2018
- Unsafe Nebulizers to Treat Asthma and Cystic Fibrosis Recalled - May 17, 2018