The paleo diet is known as the hunter-gatherer diet. This diet includes, wholesome, unprocessed and natural foods. The conceptualization of this diet is based on the fact that our ancestors evolved for thousands of years and became adapted to foods of the palaeolithic era. By limiting their meal to what was available in natural form, the ancient cavemen did not suffer from diseases like cancer, diabetes, obesity and other infections.
People argue that around 10,000 years ago, the advent of agriculture and domestication of animals didn’t allow our species to properly digest new foods such as grain, legumes, and dairy because these foods were totally new to them. It is has been reported by an American study that species during palaeolithic era lived less as compared to the current generation after following the paleo diet. Lack of modern technology and effective medicines can be triggered as the main reason behind a low life span during the stone age period. It is a fact that if they lived in the current generation then they would probably have a longer life span!
What is paleo diet?
The paleo diet is the healthiest way to get nutrition and protein, and helps you stay lean, strong and energetic. Various researches indicate that our modern diet is full of refined foods, trans fats and sugar. These foods are the root of various deadly diseases like obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, depression and infertility. But, paleo diet practitioners enjoy a much longer, healthier and active life.
Paleo diet is basically a diet which simplifies your food by eating natural plants and animals for optimum health. This diet helps people in dropping unwanted pounds and also wards away diseases like heart disease and diabetes. Some of the foods that one can eat in the paleo diet include:
- Red and white meat like beef and lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, and duck.
- Organ meat such as liver is regarded as the most nutrient-dense food on the planet. So, try to dice up the liver of chicken when you’re making any meat dish.
- Fish like salmon, mackerel and herring are the most preferable seafood preparations for your paleo diet. You should eat three 6 oz. servings of fatty fish per week to balance your omega-6 and 3 ratios. Omega 3 fatty acids help increase your immunity and also burns fat from the body.
- Healthy fats like clarified butter, coconut oil, palm oil, walnut oil, and olive oil.
- Sea salt and spices.
- Fresh fruits and veggies that are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. You can prepare a yummy fruit salad that includes avocados, bananas, oranges and strawberries. Even a kale and carrot smoothie would be effective as it rich in vitamins and minerals.Also Read: 8 Genius Ways To Use Veggies for Weight Loss and Boosting Health
Interesting paleo diet recipes and menu options you can try
Importance of the Paleo Diet for Athletes
Moreover, paleo diet is the diet of our ancestors (lots of protein and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables). It has been reported that paleo diet is very effective and helpful for athletes also. Paleo diet helps athletes in optimizing their performance and improving recovery time in case of physical injuries. Chicken, lean beef, turkey, and sea food (performance enhancing proteins known as lean proteins) are crucial in rapid recovery after hard training, both for strength and endurance athletes.
Furthermore, for sprinters, paleo diet including a variety of low carbohydrate density vegetables, paleo friendly carbohydrates like yams, turnips, sweet potatoes and fruit once or twice per week are also effective.
Nutritionists agree that paleo diet is beneficial for health because of the low natural fat content and high nutritional level. It has been regarded as the best diet because it is free from saturated and processed fats. So, finally consider the above mentioned foods for yourself and head to the market or to the farmer’s market for improving your life. Yes, it is very hard to stick on paleo diet, but your strong determination will deliver the best results.
What foods to avoid in a Paleo diet?
Say no to processed foods, sugary soft drinks, dairy products, legumes, artificial sweeteners, margarine and trans fats. These foods are prepared with artificial colors and chemicals that lead to different diseases. You should also avoid foods which are rich in corn syrup like candy, pastries and ice-cream. Also, high carbohydrate foods like pasta, bread and barley preparations should be avoided at all costs.
Did you find this article interesting? If so, do share it with your friends and family. Also, post comments in case you have any queries related to health or nutrition.
Related: 10 Secret Ways to cut back on Sugar
Get useful health tips and remedies regularly, on your Facebook feed.
Latest posts by Steve Marc (see all)
- Foods to Increase Female Sex Drive - February 23, 2018
- Pneumonia in Early Life Elevates Asthma Risk - February 5, 2018
- Ways to get Rid of Lurkers, or Hidden Pimples - January 24, 2018
- Link between hormonal birth control and breast cancer revealed - January 8, 2018
- Everything you Need to Know about Sulfa Allergies - January 3, 2018